Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought a used smart car this weekend. I have a very random question about it. My roof is black, but I also have a retractable liner for the roof. Is this standard or is it possible that the previous owner painted over the panoramic roof? If that's the case, how hard would it be to have the paint removed from it?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA! :)

Assuming this is a 451 smart passion (the current model on sale in the USA) it sounds like someone either painted over the clear roof, or replaced it with the solid roof from the pure model. There should be a name decal just above each outside mirror - pure or passion?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. It's a passion. Dealer and driving in the sun with the cover retracted confirmed the roof had been painted over. Now I just gotta find a way to remove the paint without replacing the entire roof.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If it is indeed a passion,you might NOT want to remove the paint. On the older passions
there was a problem with the clear roof panel"crazing"(tiny cracks throughout)!! If the
previous owner went to the trouble and expense of having the roof painted,I think it was
because he/she was tired of looking through a crazed roof panel???..........................

·
Registered
235 Posts
On the older passions
there was a problem with the clear roof panel"crazing"(tiny cracks throughout)........................
Are you saying there is a better roof available now?

Mine is crazed and now it looks bad from the outside also. I've been thinking about painting it, but if there is a better one available, wonder what it would cost?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts