Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helloooo, out there. I am a 1st time smart owner and loving it! I have had my car 5 days I would like to connect my ipod but have some questions:
1. Where do I get the connecting cable/adapter?
2. Will the car recognize my ipod and start playing music right away or is there something else I must do 1st?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Please keep in mind that I am not particularly tech saavy, so I'll need help in lay language.
Happy peddling!:wink:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
not enough information. there are several threads about how and why the OEM stereo does or doesn't read various iPod / iOS devices. we'd need to know which stereo you have, and which device you are using, I think, to assert your question.

as for the connector/adapter, all things being otherwise equal, the USB charging cable that connects to the iOS device with USB at the other end should be all you need to connect to the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More information on ipod and radio

I drive a 2008 Passion. I don't know what kind of stereo system it contains, but the Aux connection inside the glove box has a round female plug-in, not a USB port-shaped plug in. I have a 4th generation iPod Nano that I use in my Hyundai Accent with a special adapting cord made by Hyundai, so I assumed smart also sold one, too is that incorrect?

Also, I don't know what OEM and iOS mean. Remember...lay language.

·
17,371 Posts
2008-2010 models:

Buy an auxiliary cable (available pretty much anywhere).

Plug one end into your iPod/MP3 Player, the other into the jack in the glovebox.

If your music player has equalizer settings ("EQ" in iPod/iPhone), set it to the off position. Instead, adjust Bass and Treble settings on the headunit itself.

Enjoy your tunes!

2011-2014 models:

Most Apple devices cannot be played through the USB connection on the 2011-2014 Entryline stereo system.

The system only reads in NTFS and FAT. Apple devices use HFS.

However, some Apple devices can be read in NTFS or FAT. Some by using some settings within iTunes, others by jailbreaking or iPod Linux.

But generally, older iPods (like my iPod Classic 3G) and devices running iOS will not run on the Entryline.

However, there is hope. There is still an Auxiliary jack in the glovebox that will support anything with an audio output. Get a 3.5 Aux cable from a store ($1-$8) and enjoy.

Alternatively you can fill up a flash drive with music and plug it into the USB port.

Some tips about that:

1) Organize your music well. Navigation on the headunit is far from refined. I recommend using folders and sub-folders.

2) Format the drive to FAT. The headunit will read NTFS, but it takes about 3 minutes to read the drive and start playing music. When formatted to FAT, the headunit takes about 10 seconds to read the drive and start playing music.

The difference? NTFS writes fast, but reads slow. FAT writes slow, but reads fast!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I drive a 2008 Passion. I don't know what kind of stereo system it contains, but the Aux connection inside the glove box has a round female plug-in, not a USB port-shaped plug in. I have a 4th generation iPod Nano that I use in my Hyundai Accent with a special adapting cord made by Hyundai, so I assumed smart also sold one, too is that incorrect?

Also, I don't know what OEM and iOS mean. Remember...lay language.
OEM = Original equipment manufacturer ( factory made for smart)

iOS = is the operating system for apple mobile devices...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, thanks. Will check with Radio Shack to see if they have what I need. You said to control from the iPod. Does that mean I can't use the controls on the smart's audio system to govern my iPod?

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
...pushing the right round button on the radio to select "AUX" and it will play whatever is plugged in in the glove box connector...you may have to set the volume up a bit and see what that does...

jetfuel...I speak lay...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"You said to control from the iPod. Does that mean I can't use the controls on the smart's audio system to govern my iPod?"

control what is playing (song, artist, album, etc) from the iPod, control the volume from the smart stereo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone for all your help! Once I give the suggestions a try, I'll let you know if I have more questions. You're a terrific group of itty bitty owners :D

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
A great alternative to the iPod is to just drag all the music on your computer to a portable usb flash drive. Plug it in the glove box and leave it there almost permanently. It's low cost, low risk if you lose it, but can store all the music your iPod can store, plus you can tag and organize your files.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's correct. 2008 passion. No USB thingy plug.
I did get the adapter yesterday at Radio Shack and it fit everything correctly. Dennyrex was right...I have to control the iPod from the iPod itself (not from the sound system buttons) once I switch to auxillary. Inconvenient (and unsafe while driving!) but better than listening to the radio at times.:rolleyes: Also, I can toggle from iPod to radio once it's set up. Nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts