·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Very nice unit.
Minimum buttons, very practical.
$250 shipped
Bluetooth and Ipod controls built in
Didn't need GPS Head unit, because I already have high-end GARMIN GPS with Traffic, Gas Prices, Weather, etc in Real time.

CUBE

·
Registered
548 Posts
Did you replace your speakers as well? What kind are they? How does it sound? Did you do your own install?

I've gone to a few audio retailers (Best Buy, Ultimate Electronics, etc.) but none have the specs for this car yet so they don't know what to say.

I do want a CD/Satellite (XM)/Ipod unit all in one. A DVD player/GPS would be nice but not needed as I also have Garmin.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
cubeFX

Thanks for the info...that is one a about three units I am researching... did you get the HD option?

After a few days could you do a full review of what it is, how it works, how you use it and any thoughts on what you wish it did or did not do...

I personally do not need Ipod control as I refuse to buy any Apple products (let's not argue this...just my personal preference) My 4 year old $55 2GB MobiBlue cube works just fine on the airplane (only place I use the toy)

I do desire HD radio and RDS and think Blue-tooth connection to TomTom and Motorola cell phone will be good to have features

I know it will pair to the V3Razr but can not tell if it will pair to the TomTom 720 to pass voice through car speakers...of course the 720 can be set to FM send so I guess I can get her voice that way

Who's face plate kit did you use there are several and reportedly some are cheesy and not flush or factory looking

Actually I am handy with shaping Plexiglas but wonder if the DD head unit you mounted need the face plate kit brackets to mount the unit or could you have secured it in the factory hole with what was in the Pioneer install kit

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fredvon4,
Headunit comes with USB cable, Microphone, and screws.
You will need dash kit to get Radio installed.
I got my dash kit from this ebay seller:
Smart Car Radio Kit, SmartCar For Two Double Din Kit - eBay (item 120262830580 end time Jun-15-08 15:10:59 PDT)

It comes with harness and all brackets you will need to install the headunit.
You will need to get antenna adapter (Best Buy, Circuit City) I believe antenna adapter is the same one as for 96 and up VW.

Dash kit very well made. Brand is American International.
So far I like the headunit a lot. Very easy to navigate. Sound noticeably better the the stock unit, but I will also upgrade my speakers in the near future. Two things I was looking for are Ipod Controls and Hands free Bluetooth. I'm using my old Treo 650 and It works very well. I also used my Ipod Classic with Motorola bluetooth adapter and it works perfect. I was able to Play, Pause, Go Next, and Go Previous wireless. There is an option to get HD radio, but I'm using XM in all my cars.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

CUBE

·
Registered
225 Posts
the American International dash kit is the best one i have see so far. SM-K108 NPR

i ordered a bunch of the kits directly from AI. if you look around u can find them at local mom and pop stereo shops. AI also sells kits under the name best kits. the kit from AI will do a double din or single din stereo. u can find it much cheaper if you look around then the ebay link.

you can also order a harness from AI for the smart so don't have to repin a few pins. http://www.americaninternational.net/detailednews.asp?NewsID=126

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Napoleon12,
I agree with you. Originally I got couple dash kits form Europe and they didn't fit or look right.

CUBE

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Thanks to both of you great info!

Cube are you running out board XM or adapter to the Pioneer?

I have not jumped into the pay radio yet, and probably wait to see where the dust settles on the merger... (equipemnt wise) I am political junkie so think I prefer Sirus but it is really a coin toss

I want HD becaus it seems that is only way to get RDS and I am one of thse who does not follow music scene so the info on artist and song title fills in where most current DJs fail to even mention who they just played or what is next

Speakers are very subjective ...here is a bit of advice that may get me shot...

I was incensed at the typical prices for name brand Infinity/Polk/JBL/Bose... etc.

I cheaped out and used 2 sets of $24.89 Boss 5x7 components to replace all 4 speakers in my King Ranch...I added 2 of included 1" silk domed tweeters and cross overs in the "A" pillar......Very well made, beefey where it counts, nice cones and same specs as the ones 6~10 times more expensive.... Obviously I can not compare them to the high end stuff.... but relative to the Ford factory paper junk, they sound very damned good

I am a Classic Rock- think Led Zepplin- fan.... and prefer, when I am alone, to crank it up. I want to hear the subtle stuff as well as realistic acoustics .... I am very impressed with my el-cheapo Boss speakers and a inexpensive Audiovox 12 band equalizer

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cube -

Did you start with the Radio 9 and its speakers, or Radio 10.

I got an orphan with a Radio 9 and only two speakers and am wondering if I also need to install more speakers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jmcummings,
My stock is Radio 9,
To install rear speakers I will run wires to the back and put 4" speakers in the rear pillars.
I'm thinking to get POLK DB651 for the front and POLK DB401 for the rear. You can get all 4 speakers for about $130 shipped (buy one , second half price) from Crutchfield.

Fredvon4,
I love XM, always listening to FOX, CNN, and bunch of other talk channels. Plus they have live traffic and weather for major cities. I got Pioneer IP Bus XM reciever (permanently installed under the seat) in my PT Cruiser. But for the smart I'm using Pioneer Inno (Portable).

Thank you.

CUBE

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
whalepirot

Yes they do... broadcast RDS info on many (most) FM stations analog signal...

When I do any sort of "search" on Crutchfield (and other sites) that provide side by side "Compare"...I can not find any RDS "Yes" on any head unit that has all the features and capabilities I desire

I am seeking a head unit with:

CD...MP3 WMA
AM/FM with FM sensitivity below 10dBf
CD SN ratio above 100dB
Sat ready
HD included or ready
USB
RDS
Bluetooth capable (preferably built in)

X

·
0 Posts
I've seen a number of Pioneer AVIC-D3 units in the smart, but likely going for the AVIC-Z3.. the only thing I don't like is I can't play iPod video on it (by what the specs say) though, how often would I do that in the car anyway? Hmm.. <shrug> the rest of the features seem cool.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My question is... will this head unit be enough to transform the sound in the car from BLAH to something decent??? Or will I have to change out the speakers too? I'm not looking for GREAT, believe me... I even typically listen to talk radio... but the sound I'm getting with my radio 10 is just horrible...

I'd like to know if just changing the head unit will make a big difference....

·
Registered
659 Posts
Don't mean to side-track this thread, but does the new AVIC-Z3 solve the problem on the D3 with only one disc "port"? In other words, can you leave the Nav disc in and still have another place to put in a cd for tunes?

·
Registered
274 Posts
will this head unit be enough to transform the sound in the car from BLAH to something decent??? Or will I have to change out the speakers too?
No matter what radio you get the sound still has to pass through the same speakers. If you're just looking for better sound and are happy with the stock radio features, then get new speakers and possibly an amp instead. The stock speakers are just that - stock. If you want better sound you usually need to replace them, but that depends on your ear and what you're listening to ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts