Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I live near the little town of Middlesex in North Carolina and I work at a Nuclear Magnetic Resonance facility in Raleigh. I purchased a 2010 Honda Civic EX almost 3 years ago to become more economical in fuel mileage and began to realize quickly that my 60 mile round trip from my current residence is costing me over $250 a month just to drive to work and back, I find myself purchasing $50 worth of gas each week with the nearest grocery store being 15 mile and gas station being 12 miles away in either direction, I was using an entire bar of gas just to get gas and return.

I started to look into hybrid vehicles such as the Toyota Prius and Kia Optima and I could not wrap my head around the idea of getting out of one expensive payment and just putting the same money into another vehicle. So I researched if an all Electric car would at least get me to work and back home, where I could plan my commute for the weekends to visit grocery stores. I am recently separated with zero intention of re-accepting her back which leaves just me in this vehicle. I am here to learn, ask questions and hopefully get information I am unable to find in any other terms related to my situation.

I like the idea of solar panels, I am currently charging my phone solely from sun power, while insignificant to an energy bill, I like the idea in itself.

Nice to meet you!
Chris

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
A 60 mile round trip could be a stretch for a smart electric drive, day in day out, unless you can recharge at work. Electrics take a big hit in range when it gets cold, when lights are on, wipers, heater, etc.

We have a Nissan LEAF fleet vehicle and its nominal 150 km range often becomes under 90 (barely over 55 miles), so it could be a risk, even with a new battery. As the battery ages, it will hold less too, probably 25% less after 3 or 4 years.

·
Registered
168 Posts
USA MPG champ??

Chevrolet is advertising a diesel that is top MPG available.Although my 2013
smart is EPA rated at 38MPG,as the car gets"broken in"my average is 40 to 41
MPG. If I didn't drive it"like I just stole it",and lived in NC flat lands,instead of
NC mountains,I would expect better MPG than that!! You can lease a smart
with the money you save on gas.Free car anyone??...........................:)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Aren't there EV chargers available at North Carolina State University's Keystone Science Center? Is that where you are?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Aren't there EV chargers available at North Carolina State University's Keystone Science Center? Is that where you are?
I live near Middlesex, NC, the road is called Selma road in middlesex; I work right off of Capital Boulevard and they don't have any plugin type thing there, but I did get a couple of Android Apps that seem to say I am literally surround with the ability to plug in at McDonalds, Whole Foods etc, My entire drive is nearly flat and I clocked the milage today, one route is 70mph almost the entire way and 29 miles one way, the other route is between 45 and 55 mph with several stops at a distance of 30.6 miles from the parking lot to the driveway.

The two apps I have are "EV Charger Locator" and "Plugshare" If there is something better I would love to know about it; I am just getting into the research phase so it is as simple as possible once I do have one, knowing how many chargers are in my work area has already honestly alleviated any anxiety, but from my residence there is nothing for 25 miles, it's all in Raleigh.

I do have a question that I think would be rude to create a whole new thread for, but there are many charging stations around me, does one plug fit all? how does this work? Do I use my plug from my car and somehow attach it to the charging station? and secondly; is it bad for the battery to be charged faster like conventional testing shows in other batteries? 440v being high degradation, 220v being bad, but not terrible and 110v being the best for the life of the battery?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts