Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Conti ProContacts on all 4: 195/50-15 at Rear, 165/60-15 at Front.
The rear tires need to be changed (one is soft and both have treadware).
The wheels are "style" package so they are the 3-spoke alloys.

My question is what would you recommend for the Rear tires: Contis, Kumhos, another brand?
If I buy them online should I bring it in to a shop for alignment?
I will stay with the same 195/50-15s, and I don't have the funds or time right now to make all 4 the same size.
I live in NYC so mostly street and highway in the city - there is some snow/ice but it usually gets plowed right away.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I recently changed to Nankang 195/50-15 (all around on stock 9 spoke wheels). They have more tread than the Conti Pros did, and ride so much better. About $50 each, shipped from an eBay vendor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put 185/55R15's on, rolls a lot better.

General RT43's, "H" rated, 600 A A

General*AltiMAX RT43 (H- or V-Speed Rated)

These are 51 psi (350 kpa) max tires, so you can inflate up to 44 psi (300 kpa) with no problems on the rear...
Thanks mattwithcats. So these should be okay with my front tires, and handle well on light snow, I take it from your locale in MidAtlantic (heck and a handbasket!)?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thx, Blackbelt, I will check it out. I had no idea you could also buy the install service through Amazon. Neat.
These handle okay in rain and slush?
They are fine in the rain, no problem at all.
Cannot comment on slush or snow as they have only been on the car since spring. To be honest, if the smart had to be used in the snow i would put 4 dedicated winter tires on it. We have AWD vehicles with winter tires for when the snow flies. It gets pretty bad where i live, and the hills can be a challenge when they are not plowed.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
any car with only a few inches of ground clearance will have trouble in the cold white stuff once you start pushing it with the bumper. I used the continental tires that came on my car for about 2 years and had lots of trouble the second yer (lots of miles) in the snow. I switched to Blizaacks and had no problems whatsoever. Any all season tire should do pretty well until the tread gets below 1/2 way.

Snow tires are designed to handle colder weather better than the all season tires. That is a fact. All season tires are OK for light snow and mild cold weather. If it gets too cold out, and moderate to heavy snow, dedicated tires are your best bet. anything more than about a foot of snow and you better either stay home or break out the 4WD with more ground clearance.

Currently running General RT43's but I also have a Land Rover for the heavy stuff!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts