Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Renault reveals new Twingo - Telegraph

Looks like Fiat 500, with a rear engined. Has a extra rear door, from the concept illustration.:)

I like!

Renault has revealed the first image of its new Twingo city car, which will make its debut at the Geneva motor show in March.
The third-generation Twingo has been jointly developed alongside the new Smart ForFour, and thus uses a rear-engined, rear-wheel-drive layout, as opposed to the front-engined, front-wheel-drive configuration of its predecessors. This is to improve interior space and will also mean a smaller turning circle.
The image released shows that Renault will allow customers to personalise their Twingo in much the same way that you can with a Mini or Fiat 500. Renault will offer four “pop” colours that it hopes will make it stand out against the Vauxhall Adam and new Peugeot 108.
The car will be available in the UK as a five-door only, while the engine and gearbox line-up will be shared with the new Smart, which will be built alongside the Renault in Slovenia.
The new Twingo goes on sale in the UK in September, although prices are yet to be announced. It will make its debut at the Geneva motor show on March 4.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
That would surely be the kiss of death, at least for older Americans. However, since it's not going to be sold here.....

Actually it would be funny if Renault-Nissan decided to sell it in the USA, and it sold a hundred thousand just like the Dauphine (which outsold the Beetle around 1960), beating smart/Mercedes to the market and proving their skepticism about the forfour to be wrong.

·
17,371 Posts
Anyone know if the Twingo will use the replaceable plastic body panels?
AFAIK - That concept is unique to smart. That Twingo has a keyhole and door handle ON the door body panel. I reckon that would make replacing it much more complex than a smart (where the keyhole and handle are on a unit independent of the door panel).

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Not at this point. The original forfour had plastic panels although the Colt didn't, so I guess it's possible for the Twingo to stick with traditional metal panels while the new forfour has plastic ones. Have to wait and see. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts