Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hello guys, At this point I'm convinced that my Smart is possessed and needs an exorcism. Allow me to elaborate.

First, I connected the + wire from the horn directly onto the + post on the battery (as suggested by Toaster) and the horn worked beautifully. Full blast. So, the horn is fine. If I could find a really small guy willing to ride on the battery and to blow the horn as needed, my problem would be over...

Then I started switching wires around and surprisingly, the horn worked (with the same old feeble sound) each and every time.

Finally, to my astonishment, I disconnected all wires (ALL OF THEM) except for the ground wire from the horn to a bolt on the chasis and the horn still worked when pressing the horn on the steering wheel....How can that be???

If any of you knows a priest specialized in exorcisms, please let me know his name and how to contact him.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Finally, to my astonishment, I disconnected all wires (ALL OF THEM) except for the ground wire from the horn to a bolt on the chasis and the horn still worked when pressing the horn on the steering wheel....How can that be???
I don't know much about the changes in the 453, but I suspect that it is equipped with two horns to start. You've replaced one with a new Wolo, which is not presently functioning, and that you are actually hearing the second OEM horn. :shrug:

The reason the new Wolo is not working for you is likely a wiring error or bad relay. I'm guessing you do not have a multimeter with which to test it. I'd start by double & triple checking your wiring, paying close attention to the numbers on the relay.

~toaster

·
Registered
332 Posts
A bit of googling seems to indicate that the 453 has TWO horns, each with separate but distinct functions! Can someone with an intact 453 please confirm the following:
:toot
  • The driver's side horn only toots when the car is locked/alarm set.
  • The passenger's side horn only toots when the horn button is pressed.

Reference: http://453**********.com/smart-453-custom-builds/130-air-horns.html
Unfortunately it looks like linking to another smart website is suppressed on this forum. :(

~toaster

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Actually... it's probably kinda similar to the 451 in that regard.... but there basically seems to be 3 separate horns.

1- Door lock. triple-chirp if i remember correctly on the 451... single beep on the 453.
2- horn button.... self explanatory
3- car alarm. If you've ever heard it... you know what i mean.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Actually... it's probably kinda similar to the 451 in that regard.... but there basically seems to be 3 separate horns.

1- Door lock. triple-chirp if i remember correctly on the 451... single beep on the 453.
2- horn button.... self explanatory
3- car alarm. If you've ever heard it... you know what i mean.
I believe #3 is actually a siren rather than a horn. In the 451 it was located underneath the car.

Can you confirm that #1 & #2 are indeed physically separate horns on the 453 and which side of the vehicle each is on?

See the following... if I can sneak a working link in here:
Air horns - 453 smart Forum

~toaster

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hello again, First, let me thank you all for your ideas and support. Yesterday afternoon I finally had time to get back at it and indeed, I found a second, larger horn on the passenger side of my 453. Once I connected the wires from this second horn to the replacement Wolo Bad Boy, it worked as expected.
However, there's a couple of things that trouble me with the connections:
First, it only worked if I connected the negative wire to the previously negative wire grounded to the chasis and the positive wire connected to the number 87 post of the relay. The positive wire that I had previously fitted with a fuse is connected from the positive post of the battery to the number 30 post of the relay. See photo below. I'm puzzled because if I follow the directions given in Wolo's diagram and connect the wires coming from the manufacturer's horn to the numbers 85 and 86 posts of the relay, nothing works.
Moreover, the old wires originally connected to the first manufacturer horn seem to have no function, even if connected (as the photo shows) to the above mentioned numbers 85 and 86 posts of the relay as instructed in the diagram. These two wires from the first horn do not seem to have any function, whether I connect them to the relay (as previously described) or leave them unconnected.
As a result, I now have a Wolo horn working perfectly fine, but no beep when I lock the car or, more importantly, no alarm.
My questions are:
1. Have I properly protected the wiring with this configuration? I believe I have, since I installed a wire with a fuse and connected it from the positive post of the battery to the number 30 post of the relay and connected the positive wire from the Wolo to the number 87 post of the relay.
2. If the connections in number 1 above are safe and thus, properly protect the car's wiring from any electrical overloads when using the horn, what's the purpose of the numbers 85 and 86 posts on the relay?
3. How do I recover the alarm function?
I'm sorry for troubling you with this new set of questions, but I'll really appreciate any ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think you really need to seek some help from a knowledgeable local person who can examine your wiring... all I can see in your photos is a bunch of red wires.

Your text is confusing... you say it does not work when wired per the diagram... but then you state "I now have a Wolo horn working perfectly fine".

Re your questions...

#1 ? How's it wired?

#2 ? Terminals 85 & 86 are the relay's coil.

#3 Did you look at my link above? It appears that the driver's side horn is only used to generate the door lock beep, the passenger side horn is the actual horn, and the car alarm is a separate siren.

One additional note... Wolo generally recommends the horn be mounted vertically to help prevent water ingestion which will quickly kill the horn.

~toaster

·
Registered
859 Posts
what you could do, assuming you know a little about electrics is to get a 4 post relay(can get one at an auto store and the counter person can probably help you read the schematic printed on the relay case as to which terminals to use). use the existing horn harness to power the relay (the positive horn wire, if you have a test lite or voltmeter to test, to the "in" positive post and likewise with then negative horn wire of the harness, to the "out" post).

then run a wire from the battery to a post on the relay. now run a wire from the other post on the relay, thru the fuse that came with the horn, directly to the horn. make sure you ground the horn using the ground terminal on the horn directly to the car frame. now when the horn is honked the factory wire harness energizes the relay and lets power pass thru it from the battery to the horn.

your horn and factory wire harness will now have double protection, the factory fuse to protect relay and the horn fuse to protect the horn.

hope that helps you

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hello guys, sorry for the delayed response. I followed toasters' advise and took the Smart to a local alarms shop and had them fix the mess I'd made. In fact, I had two horns (the Wolo Bad Boy mentioned before and a Stebel) and I had them install both...Needless to say, working in conjunction, the horns are loud enough to alert any "distracted" drivers. Moreover, they were able to restore the alarm feature and the beep upon locking the car.

I cannot share at this time photos of how/what they did at the shop, but I promise to do so as soon as I have a chance to check. I cannot tell how the installation was made by looking from the top, as they placed the horns back where the factory ones go, so I'll have to take out the wheels to check. Quite frankly, my curiosity is not prompted only by my desire to share pictures, but to check whether they actually installed both horns as requested.

I wanted to thank you all for your support and ideas. Thankfully, the "experience's" only bad result was a slightly bruised tinkerer's ego.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What you did is connect the bad boy horn to the wrong horn. The 453 has two horns a vw type for alarm ( meep) and a regular horn sound from the steering wheel ( beep) that’s why you still had a horn when disconnected.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Make dang sure the double flanges opening faces to 3 or 9 O'clock. Otherwise the horn will fill up with road debris and be a No Boy! I love how loud it is and they always look UP in their rear view like a milk truck is behind them!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts