Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought new rims from teamdynamics and sensors from OE wheels and they've been on the car for a good bit now and they still haven't reset. We read the ID's on all sensors just fine with a scan tool for all manufacturers, but it wasn't able to program them. I've heard that the car just needs some time and I'm not sure of how long/how many miles that takes. Hoping that someone can shed some light on this. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Bought new rims from teamdynamics and sensors from OE wheels and they've been on the car for a good bit now and they still haven't reset. We read the ID's on all sensors just fine with a scan tool for all manufacturers, but it wasn't able to program them. I've heard that the car just needs some time and I'm not sure of how long/how many miles that takes. Hoping that someone can shed some light on this. Thanks. :)

have you tried pressing the button in the dash for the tpm until it flashes?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tried that, tried a bunch of button push combos, holding it, rapidly pressing it, hold and key on, etc.

I have the battery unhooked right now. hoping it'll go into a relearn or something that way.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
about 70 miles over about 6-8 on/off cycles. Most other cars we've done at school reset within 25 miles. Of course the smart isnt in the same category as "most other cars"

Put the battery back in. Started it up and it was flashing for about a full minute and then stuck solid on. Definitely a different reaction, but not the fix.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
First off, they look great if I didn't say it before (think I did, but I'll say it again :D)

I've got the same problem, just hoping the TPMS light goes ahead and burns out - it's been almost 40k now and it still shines bright. :rolleyes:

I bought one replacement sensor and no luck. Starting to think I need to try some different 433Mhz sensors though this one should work.

·
Registered
787 Posts
First off, they look great if I didn't say it before (think I did, but I'll say it again :D)

I've got the same problem, just hoping the TPMS light goes ahead and burns out - it's been almost 40k now and it still shines bright. :rolleyes:

I bought one replacement sensor and no luck. Starting to think I need to try some different 433Mhz sensors though this one should work.
electrical tape.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If the vehicle ignition is off for more than about 20 minutes the TPM system will go to sleep. When the ignition is turned on and the CAN bus goes live the TPM control unit wakes up. When the vehicle starts to move the individual wheel sensors wake up and start transmitting pressure, temperature, serial number, status and direction of rotation. The control unit learns where they are as the vehicle is driven. If the TPM button on the switch cluster is pushed the current tire pressures are entered into memory as the set pressures to use as a reference. Any time the pressures are changed, the sensors are replaced or the control unit is replaced a manual restart of the TPM system is required. This is done by pushing and holding the dash button for approximately five seconds until the dash warning lamp flashes three times, then driving will initiate a relearn, which should take approximately ten minutes. If the warning lamp is staying on there may be a system fault and a capable scan tool would be required to view the system data.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts