Smart Car of America Forum banner

New Smart Burning Smell

17K views 59 replies 49 participants last post by  MNosker 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm very new to Smart. Just picked up my new Blue Passion Coupe last saturday. Have have put over 1k miles enjoying it this past week, although that won't be the norm. Have noticed a burning smell after you shut it off after having driven it for awhile. Now having worked for car dealers for over 3 decades, I'm familiar with the burning smell you get from the protective coatings they apply before shipment, but I thought that would have disappeared by now. Has anyone else experienced this? - Thanks, T.J.
Ps, After reading other members posts after posting mine, I have to assume this is normal, since there's no smoke present and everything seem to be operating normally, but I'd still like to hear opinions. Thanks

#2 ·
I think it's normal. Mine has 3,800 miles on it and I still get a whiff of the burnt smell at the rear of the car. I guess it just takes longer to "cook" everything off the engine. That's not as bad as Jeep Liberty I had, though. I liked the vehicle, but the first 3,000 miles had a skunk-like smell from the engine bay. :eek: Yuck...

#8 ·
Thanks to all

Thanks to all of you! I must admit I was a little concerned at the smell, but with everything working so well, I didn't think there was any serious problem, just a nasty little smell! It's really good to know it's not just mine! - T.J.

#15 ·
I know it sounds strange but my car smells like cinnamon after a long drive or anytime the engine is well warmed up.

It's actually quite pleasant. =)

As for the concerns about the burning smell, that is normal for any new car. It's a combination of rubber seals settling into place with heat, detergent burning out of the engine components, suspension components flexing and a host of other things just breaking in.

#18 ·
Chiming in.... 80 miles on my '09, also get the smell, also bad at the rear of the car (which makes sense, since you're walking right by the vent ports over the bumper). I did get it inside the car briefly while doing 55 this morning, but I'm not feeling any heat from the handbrake area. Then again, on my 122k-mile '99 Saturn, if I open the hood after a drive I get the same smell. :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.