Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any information anywhere on when and where new Smart Centers might be opening or when some Mercedes dealers will be selling Smart electrics? I'd like to get one, but the distance to my closest Smart dealer makes it very, very illogical for me to have one.

Len

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
. . . but the distance to my closest Smart dealer makes it very, very illogical for me to have one.
Len, you may have answered your own question as it is unlikely that the addition of an EV to the smart lineup will spur any new smart Centers to open in the wilds of NC.

MIGHT see some activity with the introduction of the new 453 but till then, nothing but crickets chirping . . .

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not necessarily the wilds, but a Smart Center serving either/both Wilmington, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC might work. I know that the Wilmington dealer is getting the electric B class. Not sure if the Myrtle Beach dealer is also? The Wilmington dealer tells me that they will not be able to service the Smart's battery pack even after their tech(s) gets trained on the B class.

I was just wondering if there were any press releases or any websites that mention where new centers will be opening.

Len

·
Registered
521 Posts
Is there any information anywhere on when and where new Smart Centers might be opening or when some Mercedes dealers will be selling Smart electrics? I'd like to get one, but the distance to my closest Smart dealer makes it very, very illogical for me to have one.

Len

Just because its far away doesn't make it illogical.

Have them deliver it to your house. The ED is well worth it and if you have been considering one then obviously it meets your needs so do it! Going to the smart center will be rare... hopefully >:D

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I have offered to buy one if they deliver it. They haven't taken me up on my offer yet. The other issue I have is required service and getting it to the dealer. Same issue for recalls. Even though service may be rare, is there not a requirement to have the battery serviced every 12 months? If that's a requirement to keep the warranty and the battery assurance program in effect, that's a concern. Maybe you can answer how "required" that 12 month service interval is with respect to the warranty. If I could do that battery service at something like 18 months, then that could eliminate one trip to the dealership. The other issue is that I have to get the car to a Smart Center to turn it in at the end of the lease. I asked if I could just return it to any Mercedes dealership and the answer was "no." It's those logistics that are holding me up at the moment.

Len

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Well, I have offered to buy one if they deliver it. They haven't taken me up on my offer yet. The other issue I have is required service and getting it to the dealer. Same issue for recalls. Even though service may be rare, is there not a requirement to have the battery serviced every 12 months?
Margins on a smart are too thin for them to flatbed it to you "gratis" especially if ED is generating new showroom traffic? Shouldn't let that deter you as with a little creativity on your part, that ED could be in YOUR driveway.

And as for service, recalls and turn in at lease end - once the sale/lease has been made, YOU remain the one that is geographically RANGE challenged. Where there is a will, there is a way.

If at the end of the month they still have inventory, remind them of your "offer" as they may be looking to move one more unit?

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My last comment to the dealer was that if they really, really needed to sell one more EV to meet a quota to call me. :) No calls yet.

I also told them that if they were making a trip to one of my local dealers for any reason like to make an exchange to let me know and maybe we could work out something. But it's still going to cost me a couple of hundred bucks each time I need to get the car back to the dealer. Now if I happened to already have a vehicle that I could use to tow it, that would be a different story. Not sure how many times I can call AAA halfway to the dealership and say that I lost my charge. :)

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Not sure how many times I can call AAA halfway to the dealership and say that I lost my charge. :)

If you have AAA Premier, you are allowed up to 100 miles of FREE TOWING (per call)?

So, if you live within 100 miles of your smart center (or can drive to within 100 miles)? You can call AAA as often as you want?

There was a story in AAA magazine a few years back: A guy moved his car from Indiana to Calif by having it towed 99 miles at a time. Each time he was picked up, the driver asked where they were towing to and he gave them the Calif address, watched the odometer and at 98/99 miles told the driver that was far enough. Dropped the car at the side of the road, waited awhile (sometimes overnight) and called in another service call?

Granted, it's a hard way to prove a point, but it can be done?

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have AAA Plus. I think my limit for free towing is 125 miles. I can get pretty close to that. As to the guy who towed his car to CA, AAA caught onto that scheme I think. Now I think their plans allow for only so many tows in a calendar year, something like four or five.

So what does the warranty for the battery say? Must the car go in every 12 months and is there a bit of leeway on that?

Len

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
AAA caught onto that scheme I think
They changed the rules in NY to include that you can't tow the car from the same place you towed it to in the past few months. Any time you tow to or from the same place they get suspicious.

So what does the warranty for the battery say? Must the car go in every 12 months and is there a bit of leeway on that?
The warranty, last I read it, did indicate it required "regular maintenance visits", which are defined by other paperwork to be 12500 or 12 months. Mines been in three times this year, but one of those was totally optional. (The second involved a deer getting a close look at my fender, and the third was the "annual" checkup, where annual started when the car rolled off the line, not where I picked it up.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts