Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
aka 'smart-1'
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was watching channel 5 news (SF Bay Area) last night and caught the tail end of a new smart commercial. Guy comes running out of his house with huge pile of stuff chasing him, gets into a Blue/Silver Lightshine and drives off. The end wording is "Escape Your Stuff"....

Will look for it again tonight...

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I saw it the other day. MUCH better than the last one. Gotta say I like it. Kudos to MB for this one.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
on the contrary, the more Penske may have screwed up, the more reason for some space between 2008 and what is essentially a re-launch of the brand (to a wider audience) in the US.

one thing I think you'll see in the new marketing is how it appeals to a younger buyer (which is more in tune with the international market, I would think) and how much it makes the Penske era seem like it was funded by AARP.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
on the contrary, the more Penske may have screwed up, the more reason for some space between 2008 and what is essentially a re-launch of the brand (to a wider audience) in the US.

one thing I think you'll see in the new marketing is how it appeals to a younger buyer (which is more in tune with the international market, I would think) and how much it makes the Penske era seem like it was funded by AARP.
Well, the irony of these quirky cars is that they are often purchased by us old duffers. It's not the first time that has happened (see Scion Xb). The smart really isn't all that practical even for a college kid who wants to haul all his crap off to school; so, people with [generally] money, which means older people can buy them for a 3rd car to use as a grocery-getter. I tried to talk my son into one but he's completely not interested. IMO, a kids first car should be something like a Honda fit. Something you can own for 10-15 years and not have to spend too much money on it. It could take you through college, and even into having a kid or two. A smart just can't do that. The first kid you get means dumping it for something bigger, so that leaves people who are either really young, or really old (with the few strays in between).

As far as the commercial goes, I think we'uns get it, but I showed it to my wife and she wasn't impressed. After two commercials, we know the smart is an uncar, and it's easy to park and turns around well. Again, it's a start, and way better to what we saw from Penske, but I'm still waiting for a little steak, rather than merely sizzle.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
11,183 Posts
Works for me.
Have to admit, a first car should be sort of a beater so you will appreciate a nicer car later when you can afford it.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
yea, it is.....but it may be 3 years too late. :(
It may well be.....
I want to add to all this that not only does the public need to become aware of our little beasties so do the dealers AND the service depts. I "scheduled" my two year check up at the dealer and I was on hold for a while and finally someone took my info and I got an impression of a "Oh, you have a 'smart' " attitude. :rolleyes: Hey M-B , these little cars are going to save your hides with the CAFE standards...show some respect.
(I hear Larry and West Covina in the distance............)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
KRA, is right. This car's limited utility eliminates it as a choice for a young buyer. The older folks will remain Smart's main market.

IMO. The new young IMAGE advertising will sell more cars, but the youth demographic will not be buying these things new. The 5k and under used Smart market will be an absolute boom.

One needs fleet of back up vehicles to happily own a Smart. As many old folks have lots of cars, trucks, and vans around the household, the Smart, with it's high seats and large doors, makes it the ideal AARP Cruiser. :D A2Jack

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
That was a really funny commercial. Wish i could have saved it to FB. It make a really good opener for a sermon based on the horrors of materialism.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"KRA, is right. This car's limited utility eliminates it as a choice for a young buyer. The older folks will remain Smart's main market."

I'm sure glad I didn't grow up on your planet. ;-)

a young buyer doesn't necessarily mean a 16 -18 y.o. first time buyer. any young buyer that's already tied down to that much stuff is doomed to a life of grief and aggravation. and a bad back. or else they'll become the drummer in a rock band. or a keyboard player.
I grew up with a subaru 360 and still had an extra back seat I didn't need, so I eventually traded it for a Crosley Hotshot, then I bought a Sunbean Alpine, etc.
with what do today's youth (who are caring less and less about driving these days so that in many cases their main car is their second or third choice mode of transport) burden themselves that they need such a big car? surfboards? hockey stix?

I guess instead of leaving the clutter on the street as in the smart ad, your prototypical young buyer would leave it all in the back seat of the honda?

·
Registered
203 Posts
yea, it is.....but it may be 3 years too late. :(
A better ad would be ".......we are finally taking care of those that bought our cars by providing them with warranty & service". I tell everyone that asks about my SmartCar, if MB loses the dealership you bought from you may have to travel hundreds of extra miles for service, or to take advantage of the warranty. for some reason they seem to lose interest.:shrug:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts