Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
"KRA, is right. This car's limited utility eliminates it as a choice for a young buyer. The older folks will remain Smart's main market."

I'm sure glad I didn't grow up on your planet. ;-)

a young buyer doesn't necessarily mean a 16 -18 y.o. first time buyer. any young buyer that's already tied down to that much stuff is doomed to a life of grief and aggravation. and a bad back. or else they'll become the drummer in a rock band. or a keyboard player.
I grew up with a subaru 360 and still had an extra back seat I didn't need, so I eventually traded it for a Crosley Hotshot, then I bought a Sunbean Alpine, etc.
with what do today's youth (who are caring less and less about driving these days so that in many cases their main car is their second or third choice mode of transport) burden themselves that they need such a big car? surfboards? hockey stix?

I guess instead of leaving the clutter on the street as in the smart ad, your prototypical young buyer would leave it all in the back seat of the honda?
I think what dennyrex is saying is that there will be a lot of youths wanting the car when the used ones start hitting $6-8K, but the new ones are going to be bought, at least heavily, by an older demographic. Not to say there won't be some young people buying them, but...

There isn't one of my 4 kids that could have put all of their college crap in a smart. Something like a Fit though, with the fold-down seat, makes tons of room for hauling everything a young person owns. You simply can't do that with a smart -- it's like two people and 4 bags of groceries! OK for around town or as a second car though.:wink:

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
KRA it's a good thing you weren't around when we get ready to leave on a trip. I'd hate to give your a heart attack watching me pack the rear of our smart. Our first long trip in the smart was to our son's house after our triplet granddaughters were born. We packed enough in there for a weeks vacation (2 large duffle bags and 1 small duffle bage), plus the 32" LCD tv we gave our son, and his wife, gifts for the the 3 girls, my Cpap machine, a cooler, cookbooks, more gifts (3 twin size blankets), laptop computer and miscellaneous stuff. Lots more than 4 bags of groceries. There's a picture in my photo's.

Oh and that college student could fold the passenger seat down to get more things in the car. I think it would be the perfect car for a college kid. The only thing it won't do is haul all 13 of his friends at once. My son did that in the minivan he had during college. Yes he put up with lots of teasing for driving a minivan except when they all wanted to go in one car.

Back to our regularly schedule program: Hubby and I have to much stuff and really need to do an "un-clutter our life".

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
KRA it's a good thing you weren't around when we get ready to leave on a trip. I'd hate to give your a heart attack watching me pack the rear of our smart. Our first long trip in the smart was to our son's house after our triplet granddaughters were born. We packed enough in there for a weeks vacation (2 large duffle bags and 1 small duffle bage), plus the 32" LCD tv we gave our son, and his wife, gifts for the the 3 girls, my Cpap machine, a cooler, cookbooks, more gifts (3 twin size blankets), laptop computer and miscellaneous stuff. Lots more than 4 bags of groceries. There's a picture in my photo's.

Oh and that college student could fold the passenger seat down to get more things in the car. I think it would be the perfect car for a college kid. The only thing it won't do is haul all 13 of his friends at once. My son did that in the minivan he had during college. Yes he put up with lots of teasing for driving a minivan except when they all wanted to go in one car.

Back to our regularly schedule program: Hubby and I have to much stuff and really need to do an "un-clutter our life".
I envision a car a kid can keep for 10-15 years getting started out. Buying selling cars is nearly ALWAYS a financial hit. A car like a Yaris or Fit would get them all the way through college and clear into kid number two before it absolutely had to be replaced and car money scrounged up. A smart won't get you much past married and a chihuahua!:D Better a kid had a minnivan so when they find a mate they know it won't be because of the spiffy car!:wink:

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
The smart a prefect car for commuting back and forth to college. My daughter is doing that. 60 miles a day. Great gas milage. But if she goes back to living on campass. Our Honda Fit is light years ahead of hauling anything the smart will. smart car is way too small. Gas milage in the Fit, is only 3 mph per gallon below the smart. Fit uses regular gas too. The Fit is better in the snow too.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I liked it better, still the european ads are the best, sadly even commercials from Brazil are more elaborated.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
KRA you make good points. It's such a fun car to drive I would consider it for a teen driver. At least a used one.

jefferios, your right the commercial is awesome.

We all could probably use to unclutter our lives. Know anyone who needs a lift chair? :p It was my Dad's. Too big to ship. :(

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
OK, off-topic; I don't have kids, college age or otherwise. what has happened in the years since I was in college that requires so much stuff? I hitch-hiked to college, and had very little storage space while doing so.

is this a live-in-a-dorm-in-some-faraway-place deal where the kid transfers his bedroom and parents' living room and his parent's garage to the dorm-in-some-faraway-place deal? and if so isn't this a two-time deal? what is it that needs to be carried around on a frequent basis as to require a big car? do they drive to class and take a physics lab with them each day or?

seriously confused...

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
dennyrex: your right. We hauled our son't stuff to college for him when he started. He left it in storage there during summer breaks. The biggest item he had to haul home during the summer was his Cello. That took space but I think if you put the passenger seat down on the smart that it would fit. He stayed in Iowa after college so we didn't have to haul anything home. He only had what he needed in college.

He could have owned a smart if they'd been around back then.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
So he leaves his garbage in the street? And drives away. Tells nothing about the car.
I agree 100%.

The two commercials are effective for already established brands.

As previous posts have pointed out, for most people, this is "Brand introduction and niche positioning"

IE: "What does this car do for me, in ways that I want, that other cars can't do ?"

Intro ad themes should group priorities to different age demographics

As a young man, I owned a Nash,only, because the seats made a bed.

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
389 Posts
I agree 100%.

The two commercials are effective for already established brands.

As previous posts have pointed out, for most people, this is "Brand introduction and niche positioning"

IE: "What does this car do for me, in ways that I want, that other cars can't do ?"

Intro ad themes should group priorities to different age demographics

As a young man, I owned a Nash,only, because the seats made a bed.

Donald LaFavor

nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more........say.... no.... more.

·
Registered
596 Posts
In '64 I bought a year old Volvo 544 - looked like a '40 Ford tudor (which I wanted but couldn't afford). I found an option that was easy to retrofit. It was a leather strap for the seat that had pin and snap. Pull the snap, remove the pin and the seats laid flat......great for drive-ins.....and MORE!.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Well...my wife and I were taken aback this morning when we finally saw a new commercial with a smart in it...or so it seemed.
Here's the scenario-- A young couple is standing in front a smart for two which was all wrapped up in ribbons. It really looked cute. The colors were white and the pale green which is used in the current ED version. Since it was early in the morning I wasn't fully functional yet... but I immediately explained to the wife that this must be the new electric smart being shown.
With my trained eye and acute sense of awareness I had quickly awakened and now realized that finally the smart ED would now be a mainstream vehicle at last-- for all to purchase.
That lasted only a few seconds however, as the camera shifted from the young shocked couple and panned to a slow moving Buick. The Buick which is obviously much larger-- boasted great mileage such as 36 mpg Hwy across the screen. The couple of course looked on in dismay as the Buick LaCrosse went by. End of story.:bangwall:

·
Registered
858 Posts
The main problem is the adds are not being run on the mainstream channels. Best time for car adds is around football games, and I haven't seen a one for smart. I hear they are on Sundance, but that isn't a channel I normally watch.
With no local dealer, (nearest 90 miles away), not helping either. I am seeing more around town however, none for two days then three or four in a day.:cool:

·
aka 'smart-1'
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I saw the same commercial last night,
Oh Boy, another smart commercial and then the Buick showed up :(
What a let down.....:frustration:

Well...my wife and I were taken aback this morning when we finally saw a new commercial with a smart in it...or so it seemed.
Here's the scenario-- A young couple is standing in front a smart for two which was all wrapped up in ribbons. It really looked cute. The colors were white and the pale green which is used in the current ED version. Since it was early in the morning I wasn't fully functional yet... but I immediately explained to the wife that this must be the new electric smart being shown.
With my trained eye and acute sense of awareness I had quickly awakened and now realized that finally the smart ED would now be a mainstream vehicle at last-- for all to purchase.
That lasted only a few seconds however, as the camera shifted from the young shocked couple and panned to a slow moving Buick. The Buick which is obviously much larger-- boasted great mileage such as 36 mpg Hwy across the screen. The couple of course looked on in dismay as the Buick LaCrosse went by. End of story.:bangwall:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Buick should also add that their cars have a support system that doesn't require the customer to drive 300+ miles for after sale service & warranty.....that would definitely be a deal clincher:rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 52 Posts