Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2013 Smart Passion coupe last night at Carmax. It's soooooo cute!! (I'll post pics later today). Few questions...

1: I am still getting used to the automated manual. Any tips on how to make acceleration a little smoother when you push on the gas after being at a stoplight or red light?

2: How do I transfer the warranty to my name? It only less than 6000 miles. Also, what is the warranty? I thought it was 4/50 but the dealer last night was trying to sell me the extended warranty because he said the warranty was only for 2 years and 24,000 miles?

I'm sure I will think of some more! lol.

Thanks!!!! :D

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Carmax....:rolleyes:

From 2012 models on the smart has had a 4 year/50K mile warranty. If you have a smart center close to you ask them about transferring the warranty. If not, call the 800 number.

You'll get used to the transmission - just keep a steady pedal pressure and let the "auto" feature do its thing. The quicker you depress the pedal, the faster* the car will accelerate.

* faster in smart terms, of course....:)

http://www.smartusainsider.com/video/video/show?id=2029424:Video:454013

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
There are differences of opinion as to how to smooth out the ride of your smart some others find it smoother to the feather the pressure on the gas pedal a bit during a shift. It is personal preference. You can encourage an up shift by feathering pressure on the gas pedal. Play with it. It can shift as smooth as any other car with a little finessing of the accelerator. You can encourage down shifting with the paddle shifters if you have them. Enjoy.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the new ride! :) Definitely stop by a dealer or call smartUSA to handle the 4/50 warranty. Personally, I prefer manual mode and use the paddles to shift. Check out a demo video I made of the different shift modes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuVCj6o2MeE

If you're interested in tracking and sharing your fuel mileage, we can always use a few more smarts on Fuelly.com.

Check out my YouTube smart videos when you get a chance to see some event photos and video, especially the "Two year ownership" and "2011 Orlando" videos.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Most of us will tell you, steady throttle pressure, and learn to use the paddles. RPM's are your friend, don't be afraid to use them especially if you do any freeway driving. I've found 5th gear is mostly good for downhill or when traffic is fast and steady...

·
Registered
521 Posts
I picked up my 2013 Smart Passion coupe last night at Carmax. It's soooooo cute!! (I'll post pics later today). Few questions...

1: I am still getting used to the automated manual. Any tips on how to make acceleration a little smoother when you push on the gas after being at a stoplight or red light?

2: How do I transfer the warranty to my name? It only less than 6000 miles. Also, what is the warranty? I thought it was 4/50 but the dealer last night was trying to sell me the extended warranty because he said the warranty was only for 2 years and 24,000 miles?

I'm sure I will think of some more! lol.

Thanks!!!! :D

You should be using the paddle shifters since they make the car perform better and make the driving more fun as well.

learn when to shift, i think i usually shifted into 2nd at about 15-20, the first gear change is the worst but after that it gets a little better

now with the electric.... oh man... just step on the pedal and you GO :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts