Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well not only do we have a name, but now we have a picture. A real live picture no less that will help us identify with MB USA much better.

Keith - you look good in those videos. Now since we are just a little north of USA in a country called Cold - ok Canada, are we going to get some of those spots up here too. Would be nice and help.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
The "city car" theme is ill-conceived. People can see how big it is without being told, but "city car" carries multiple preconceived notions that are not being addressed head-on by these new ads:

Too slow, too cramped, too uncomfortable, too gutless, too unsafe, too impractical, etc., etc.

Who today lives within the strict confines of the city and has no reason to venture beyond? People need a car that can go anywhere, anytime. That is actually the surprising forte of the 453. It's not only good in the city – it's good everywhere, at any speed or distance.

Much better would be to say that the smart is totally redesigned. Faster. Roomier. More comfy. Greater safety. All-new transmissions (plural). Eager to take you from point A to point B, or cross-country to point Z with all your gear. All the luxuries, smartly packaged by Mercedes.

·
Super Moderator
28,978 Posts
They go by pretty fast, but the "smart cities" shown in those ads explain why the rest of the country is not really looked upon as marketing territory by smart USA. Not sure if selling upwards of 10K cars annually primarily in those few markets is feasible, but I guess we'll find out. :shrug:

·
Registered
832 Posts
I don't understand why smart USA is so bent on limiting their target market to just a few cities, when there is a big country to conquer!
It's like they have given up correcting the stereotypes :crying:

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
Talk about putting 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound (30 second) bag?

And Manifesto - beats the heck out of me what the "smart cities" might be?? Until YouTube has a slow-mo button to slow that "hot mess" down I'm not interested!

Is the entire smartUSA staff amped up on too much caffeine or what . . .

·
Registered
211 Posts
The "city car" theme is ill-conceived. People can see how big it is without being told, but "city car" carries multiple preconceived notions that are not being addressed head-on by these new ads:

Too slow, too cramped, too uncomfortable, too gutless, too unsafe, too impractical, etc., etc.

Who today lives within the strict confines of the city and has no reason to venture beyond? People need a car that can go anywhere, anytime. That is actually the surprising forte of the 453. It's not only good in the city – it's good everywhere, at any speed or distance.

Much better would be to say that the smart is totally redesigned. Faster. Roomier. More comfy. Greater safety. All-new transmissions (plural). Eager to take you from point A to point B, or cross-country to point Z with all your gear. All the luxuries, smartly packaged by Mercedes.
I don't know, I think to a lot of young people in America living in the city and not venturing to far away from a big city is an appealing idea. A car designed specifically for the places they live will make a lot of sense to them.
Of course you also have to wonder if these same young people might not think that Car2Go makes more sense than actually buying a car, but aiming the smart at young, hipster types, who live in big cities and wouldn't want to live anywhere else makes a lot of sense.
I also don't know if the term "city car" has the same connotation that it does in places like Europe. Americans are so unfamiliar with the city car concept that they may not immediately think they are slow and cramped. Either way these ads will increase the visibility of smarts and I can't think of how that could be a bad thing for the brand.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oh, by the way, since it looks like smart is aiming these spots at young, urban, folk I hope they are buying time for the ads on streaming video services instead of just putting them on TV. I would think that would be a more effective way of reaching their target audience.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
Oh, by the way, since it looks like smart is aiming these spots at young, urban, folk I hope they are buying time for the ads on streaming video services instead of just putting them on TV.
The industry is projecting 40% of all new vehicles sold within the next 10 years will be to Millennials (age 16-36).

Millennials should be the target car buyer of today. Marques and dealers that adapt to their needs and buying preferences will be the ones who see the next generation of car buyers come through their doors.

As our generation of smart buyers "age out," what are smartUSA and M-B doing to prepare for Millennial buyers?

Side question for our friend smartAPM - how many PRIVATELY owned/leased smart fortwos are in the parking lot of smartUSA?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The industry is projecting 40% of all new vehicles sold within the next 10 years will be to Millennials (age 16-36).

Millennials should be the target car buyer of today. Marques and dealers that adapt to their needs and buying preferences will be the ones who see the next generation of car buyers come through their doors.

As our generation of smart buyers "age out," what are smartUSA and M-B doing to prepare for Millennial buyers?

Side question for our friend smartAPM - how many PRIVATELY owned/leased smart fortwos are in the parking lot of smartUSA?
Good question, I've never done a lot count. There are several dozen off the top of my head, plus a lot of people lease them for family members that we don't see at the office. They're very popular within the program, especially with those that live within the Atlanta Perimeter.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Te smart has always been advertised as a city car. Outside the city, there's not a singe thing it will do better than a Mazda 2 or any other such car. For those who want to go anywhere, however, they added cruise control.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Finally!

Though I also would not like to see Smart pigeon-hole itself as "just" a city car (especially with the new 453), I applaud the new commercials for finally arriving. Any publicity at all is better than no publicity. I hope to purchase a 2017 coupe, or maybe the cabrio, and am delighted to see commercials of any kind. Personally, I was intrigued by the smart simply by the fact that it's unique! A rear-engine, rear-drive (and a turbo 3-cyl no less) car is a wondrous vehicle to be able to buy these days. I can't wait to finally get one! Don't know about "target" markets or such, but I'm newly retired and soon to be 63...........and a friend of mine also just bought a new 2016 here in the Philadelphia area. He's in his mid-70's and had not owned or even driven a car in several years and he loves the thing! So don't think the market is only there for young "hipsters" and such. You might be surprised at who might be interested if only MB USA would market the car properly.

PS - A bit more HP would be nice........say another 20 to 30?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was listening to a program the other day which claimed that the younger generation is not purchasing new cars as the older generations did, as they are taking longer to obtain their driver's licenses these days. I don't recall where that info came from, but it struck a note with me, as I still remember how many of my friends got their first car in Jr High, but virtually all by their last year of high school in my home town. Working on cars was not just a hobby, but almost a life style back then for teenagers and the Chevy's, Sting Rays and hopped up Fords were what the cool kids drove, while most were hesitant to drive Mom and Pop's old daily driver clunker.

With most of the maintenance stuff not the same as back in my day and most now requiring a trip to the shop instead of a hands on experience, that alone may makes a bit of a difference in how different generations may look at autos over time. Style and HP are also some of the many factors in which the Smart Car is just not as quick to catch on. I believe the new model Smarts are too fresh on the market to be evaluated at Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds as to cost to operate per year, but I'd bet the Smart Cars are not in the cheapest area there since those trips to MB are not known to be cheap. With parts and dealerships not so widely spread as the more common cars these days, I'd bet any of these factors each weigh in as to trying to figure out the select group to target for these vehicles. If a vehicle is known not to have a good resale value in the used car market, then that too can easily be a factor in the youth not responding well to purchasing a Smart Car. One other thing is the fact that the car is limited in passengers and the youth I know generally love to take their friends with them as they drive.

Not putting the Smart Car down by stating the above and there are other factors I probably missed to begin with, but not everyone is sold on the niceties of this vehicle and what works for one age generation seldom works for others. A similar example is Harley is doing poorly in the market, as the good ol' boys who used to be the strength of the brand in sales has aged and the newer generation is not as captivated by the machines, the attire or the life style these days.

Me, if I were in the ad business, I'd capitalize on the tried and true of the city use for the Smart Car at least as a starting point in any ad campaign as these guys are doing. That is a given and all the rest is more of the unknown at this point. Focusing on the other can always come later once you open people's eyes by getting their attention, first. Just my opinion though and I am no Smart Car Ad person and I didn't spend the night at a Holiday Inn, either. :)

At least these guys didn't get the phony Col. Sanders or weird Burger King guy to do their ads for them. That is a plus, for sure. :)

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
I don't live in the city. No parking issues here. 99.9% of regular cars are able to park in tight spaces in the city. All the commercial show, what the 450, 451 could do too. Hey smart, what new about the little car. What improvements?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
To me, these commercials feel like they are looking for NEW people to jump into the brand. I don't think getting into the details would do anything.

True, but NEW people have OLD perceptions. Almost anyone can recite "what's wrong" with a smart based on media coverage of the 451 or common opinion.

Without exception, everyone who has seen my 453 has failed to notice that it wasn't a 451. When I start explaining HOW the car has been changed, they all have been thoroughly impressed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts