Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
... more tractor trailers should look like that smartsix.

A wider fortwo does not help us lane splitters. It needs to go more in the direction of Gordon Murray's T.25:

·
Registered
233 Posts
We all are aware that the future generation smart will be markedly differant than the current conception.I am somewhat leary of a smart that ventures too far away from the original idea.In my mind,that is where VW went wrong.I would hate for smart to make that decision becouse I am inclined to see that as a mistake

·
17,378 Posts
C> = Compact & Forward Thinking

If smart can build a larger vehicle using the idea behind both "smart" and the "C>" then it won't be like the whole MINI and VW deal.

Basically all they have to do is take the fortwo's qualities and implement them into larger vehicles. In the end smart will have the smallest vehicles in every class and they will all conform to the original design of smart.

·
Super Moderator
28,452 Posts
Here's my worst case scenario for smart in the USA:

M-B USA needs the smart to get their fleet CAFE numbers up for the next few years. New smart allegedly in the works as a Daimler/Renault collaboration, due "mid-decade." M-B USA dealers not thrilled with the prospect of a sub-$20K smart on the floor next to a $60K E-Class. Mercedes responds by importing the next generation A-class with a turbo diesel engine and pricing it below the current C-Class. smart continues to be sold elsewhere around the world.

Not what we'd like but this is all about M-B now, not smart IMHO. :)

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Here's my worst case scenario for smart in the USA:

M-B USA needs the smart to get their fleet CAFE numbers up for the next few years. New smart allegedly in the works as a Daimler/Renault collaboration, due "mid-decade." M-B USA dealers not thrilled with the prospect of a sub-$20K smart on the floor next to a $60K E-Class. Mercedes responds by importing the next generation A-class with a turbo diesel engine and pricing it below the current C-Class. smart continues to be sold elsewhere around the world.

Not what we'd like but this is all about M-B now, not smart IMHO. :)

I hope you are right and wrong -- right about the A class, and wrong about the Smart! LOL I really like the older 160s!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think a bit wider doesn't hurt.. my friend who first ride in my smart yesterday loves everything... headroom, legroom comfy, seat height, feeling of the autumnal transmission and what not... the only thing he complained is we are kind of sitting shoulder to sholder...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi there from france,

There are lot of to talk about the new 453 smart fortwo, but nothing I can really share.

let's only confirm that the supposed "nissan transmission" won't be mount on the new smart.

I can also confirm that the dealing strategy still implies the NAFTA market, and not with the nowdays figures, but lot more expecting.

More I can't say.

K

21 - 40 of 57 Posts