Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
5,297 Posts
Hi there from france,

There are lot of to talk about the new 453 smart fortwo, but nothing I can really share.

let's only confirm that the supposed "nissan transmission" won't be mount on the new smart.

I can also confirm that the dealing strategy still implies the NAFTA market, and not with the nowdays figures, but lot more expecting.

More I can't say.

K
Ohh! but this says so much..thank you!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
When I read the article they talk about making the car wider and becoming a premium vehicle with better quality and trim...

·
17,372 Posts
If the next fortwo has a CVT, I'll be greatly disappointed.

Manuals are fun, Automatics are convenient...CVTs aren't fun and repairing them takes convenient out of the equation...

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
The last I remember hearing is that the 453 would have a dual clutch automated manual. transmission.
I wish they would investigate the zero shift technology which could be retrofit much cheaper into the existing transmission at a much lower cost per build. The shift motors could be replaced with solenoids since that design takes much less force to shift since the synchromesh gear packs are gone. With zeroshift, the feel is more like an electric motor since the gear changes are seamless and virtually undetectable.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If the next fortwo has a CVT, I'll be greatly disappointed.

Manuals are fun, Automatics are convenient...CVTs aren't fun and repairing them takes convenient out of the equation...
You don't repair a CVT it gets replaced!

A couple of hours in the shop and it's done (not so inconvenient on a smart), and you have a brand spanking new trans to thrash!

I'd prefer the Jatco CVT over a pure automatic and most definitely over the herky jerky semi-auto trans currently in the smart.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts

A couple of hours in the shop and it's done (not so inconvenient on a smart), and you have a brand spanking new trans to thrash!

I'd prefer the Jatco CVT over a pure automatic and most definitely over the herky jerky semi-auto trans currently in the smart.
I would consider this as long as the transmissions were lined up on the shelf at Walmart.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts

Yeah, but at $5000.00 plus like the engine...... NOT!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would consider this as long as the transmissions were lined up on the shelf at Walmart.
Jatco CVTs are readily available in the U.S., Nissan uses alot of them.

Yeah, but at $5000.00 plus like the engine...... NOT!
A CVT is very inexpensive compared the trans in the smart now, I think the last one I sent out when I worked at Jatco USA had a $2500 MSRP.

What I like most with a CVT is the almost unlimited number of gear ratios without the need to change any hardware it's all software.

The Toroidal CVT we had in our Nissan Gloria (Infinity M45) wasvery cool but the downside to the trans was it didn't like the cold and if the tech was alergic to shellfish the fluid could kill him! Shellfish was actually an ingrediant in the fluid used as a friction modifier in our test vehicle anyway.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Not almost, a CVT has limitless ratio capability. I have driven two of them, other than a number of scooters over the years. One was a M113 APC and the other a DAF. Both used rubber belts like a scooter and they worked well but are not much fun. In theory they work great, until in the real world people use them wrong and they loose some of there efficiency.

A direct injected gas motor is what I would like to see.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Modern CVTs are awful, unless you like hearing a cacophonous engine at 5000 RPM all the time when accelerating. They were good in 2 cylinder Dafs in the OLD days. Those were low-tech and lasted (though the rubber bands had to be changed every few years).

I am driving a Mercedes B 200 Turbo with 192 HP and CVT as a loaner car while mine is having new doors put on, and the CVT absolutely ruins the driving. They are fragile too.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts