Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

just took delivery of a passion with leather in san francisco. As I was parking in front of my place, one of my neighbors comes out and asks - wait for it - "is it electric?" I wonder what the record is for the shortest time after driving off the lot and getting this question....(in my case 20 minutes)

on a more serious note, the finance guy at the dealer was really pressing me to get the extended warranty package, saying that MB shop rates make smart repairs very expensive. Generaly, Consumer Reports etc. think these packages are not worth it, but I wonder what the the smart community thinks. What has the reliability been elsewhere? should I seriously think about extended warranty?

·
Red Roller Skate
3,895 Posts
I didn't get extended warranty or even the tire warranty. I'm taking on the factory warranty for 24k/2years and what will come will come. The smart is the most fun car to have and the questions have only started. I've had mine a month now and I've had the electric question right down does the car "talk" to you (literally talk like it is a conscious being).

·
Registered
810 Posts
smart center San Francisco really pushed the Extended Service Plan (Insurance) when I bought from them in April 08. At that time the lowest Plan option they offered was $1,340 for 60 month/60,000 miles (3 extended years) including wheels & tires.

Now, a year later I received a letter from them with a new offer. "$12.50 per month for the next 7 years" Which, if I'm reading correctly, hints that the Plan covers the car for the 84 months/70,000 miles (5 extended years) for $1,050 excluding wheels & tires.

Although I would have to study the full details and exclusions to see if it is a good deal, the price isn't bad at $210 per year of coverage.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
extended warranty

hi Saronian, first they offered me the same 60/60000for $1340, then upped it to 70/70000 when they saw I was not going for it. Maybe I will wait for the $12.50/mo offer....then again the fine print is where they usually screw you on technicalities, so we better read it all first.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Got the letter as well and aside from being suspicious of any offer that does not clearly state the final complete cost I am simply not sold on the Service Plan, nothing is really spelled out on what it covers/doesn't cover (the issue of the clutch alone really needs to be clear on this transmission) and the fact that each service visit to check anything would cost $100 dollars no matter what, as I think it is, doesn't sound very appealing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
How ya doin' Packetandy? I'm close... Sacramento! I was asked that question for the first time about two days ago (drove off the lot in mid-March). But I was asked about mileage about 400 times!

sc Sacramento didn't push anything too hard, not even the warranties. They gave me the options and let me make the decisions. Chuks (pronounced Chooks) was the finance guy there and did an incredible job, even got my APR down after I drove off the lot. It was amazingly easy doing business there.

Hope you have a blast and I'll see all of you at the next Nor Cal event if there is one! :)

~Jas...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts