Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my old TS800 Conti snow tires with a new set of WS60 Blizzaks...

Worst. Tires. Ever.

I'm driving a 170-mile round trip daily between home and downtown Detroit this month - my show is playing Detroit's Fisher Theatre over the Xmas/New Year holidays - and these things are *horrible* on grooved pavement, and not very swift at all on snow... Not as good as the old TS800s, anyway. Far too squirrely.

And yes; before anyone says anything, I did triple-check the tire pressure is where it should be. We even found a leaking valve stem.

Oh well... Only four more years' worth of winters before these are ready to be replaced.

·
17,390 Posts
That sounds about right for Blizzaks. I hated my WS60s so much that I swapped them out for Kumho all season tyres after just two months of use.

On snow and ice, mine rocked. On everything else? Absolutely DREADFUL!

The steering wheel was very lofty, almost like a suggestion box rather than something that inspired confidence.

They had absolutely zero traction in emergency situations, they would immediately skid at the sight of any quick steering input.

They had incredibly weak sidewalls. It felt like I was riding in a Jeep with large, knobby tyres that were underinflated.

Any imperfections in the road surface (grooves, ruts, etc) would make the wheel pull very hard in either direction, making for a white knuckle situation if driving at speed.

They also produced road noise so loud that if one of my wheel bearings went, I wouldn't even notice it!

I would only recommend the WS60 tyre if you desperately needed a snow tread and couldn't afford something better.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim; yes, on all four corners. Staggered fit with the OEM alloys. On snow & ice, they're all that and a bag o' chips. On wet or dry pavement, they suck out loud.

I'm gonna stop back by the shop tomorrow and see if they'll do anything for me. Damned if I'm gonna spend the next few winters on these pieces of, ahem, "traction technology." Gimme some TS800s!

·
Super Moderator
11,304 Posts
I don't have that problem with my Blizzacks, I might have an earlier version as I bought them as closeout tires about 4 years ago.. They will be ready for replacement after this winter.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
When I got my Blizzaks a few years ago, I felt the same way initially. I insisted that the installers use the smart tire pressure recommendations. The car felt like it was riding on a roadway made up of marbles.

Then I went with the tire pressure recommendation of my tire guys (Les Schwab) and, lo and behold, the car drove more like it should.

Now, someone's bound to ask me what Les Schwab recommended.

I don't recall. (I'm old, retired and not as interested as I once was.)

Increase the front tire pressure is the best I can recall at this point.

In any event, I doubt that any winter tire will deliver the same level of sure-footedness as a 3-season tire or dedicated track tire

Regards

·
17,390 Posts
I always inflate my tyres to some PSI under the maximum sidewall number. This made no difference in the road handling of the WS60s.

Off Topic: When Discount Tyre installed my new Kumhos, they inflated them to the number in the doorsill. Those things were so flat they might as well not had any air in them at all!

Double Off Topic: I use UK English words so much my iPad has given up on trying to correct me and doesn't even bother underlining them anymore either. :D

·
Registered
912 Posts
Haha, I read right through your UK spelling without a flinch. Of course, a big road where you can drive relatively fast is a "motorway" in my book. I still call a truck a truck and not a lorry, though ... though if someone calls it a lorry (or spells "tyre") I hardly notice ...

Although I despise the summer ContiProContact hockey pucks that they call tires, I now have the Continental ContiWinterContact tires in stock sizes on mine, at whatever pressures the workshop set them to, and they seem quite good.

·
17,390 Posts
Tonight on SCoA! Richard looks at some snow tyres, James drags his brakes, and I install some headlamps!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I got my Blizzaks a few years ago, I felt the same way initially. I insisted that the installers use the smart tire pressure recommendations. The car felt like it was riding on a roadway made up of marbles.

Then I went with the tire pressure recommendation of my tire guys (Les Schwab) and, lo and behold, the car drove more like it should.

Nope; that's not it for me... I've tried the normal 29/36psi, and 36psi all around, but nothing helps. As it turns out, the pavement hereabouts is grooved, and the grooves are almost the exact same width as the tread blocks on the WS60s. This is the source of my crappy handling.

Soon as I can, I'm going back to my beloved Conti TS800 WinterContacts. Those tires were *excellent*.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That really sucks to hear about the Blizzaks... I always heard great stuff about them from other users on different cars. I have the Brabus wheels with the All-Season Kumhos and they haves been great during last Michigan winter and now this year so far.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the Brabus wheels with the All-Season Kumhos and they haves been great during last Michigan winter and now this year so far.
I may see if they make the Kumhos to fit the OEM alloys for winter shoes, although I do love the winter Contis. My summer wheels are 6.5x15 Genius Darwins with 195/55r15 Yoko S.drives on all four corners, and they're *fabulous*... On clear pavement. On snow? Not so much.

I drove back from the Tuesday night show in Detroit to my home in the Lansing area in the middlin'-heavy snow on I-96, and at verious points, the Blizaks had my heart in my throat, they were so skittish... Horrible tires!

·
17,390 Posts
Don't hold your breath. I have Kumho Ecsta AST tyres on all four corners and they're no better in the snow than the stock Contis...which considering they are wider and are nearly half the price, isn't bad. :)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I had the LM 18's (Still have them on my car now. Excellent tire in snow, ice, and rain. No problems here. I cannot comment on the WS60. Sorry.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts