Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a two year old 453 Passion cabrio privately, but the owner was not there as he was working abroad, and his wife did not know answers to my questions.

1...The passion has a standard radio, can you tell me if it has a security code, needing resetting if battery disconneted.
2...Can the start stop disable button be set to permanent. I have to hit button every journey
3...Is there a paper service book or is it electronic, if it is electronic how do you access it to see what sevice's done.
4...should you get two key fobs with remote buttons, as I only got one key,
5..The tire pressure warning comes up but does it tell which tire is low pressure, wil it go away automatically when I pump up tires.

Thanks guys. I am enjoying the car.

·
Super Moderator
17,547 Posts
Hello and welcome to SCoA! Hopefully we can get all your answers squared away for ya! :)

1) Not sure. I was under the impression that smart stopped doing the security code thing after the 450 generation.

2) The official answer is no. However, someone well versed in electrical systems could in theory wire up a printed circuit board in a manner that automatically disables the start/stop function on engine start.

3) The smart website does have electronic copies of the owner's manual (paper copies should have come with the car). Not sure where to get a service manual.

4) The car comes with two fobs from the factory. In the US, used cars are generally sold as-is. So if the seller gives you one key, you only get that one key. Since you appear to be in the UK, check with your country, regional, and local laws to see what applies.

5) Unfortunately it does not. However, in my experience once you check and adjust the pressures in every tyre the light will go away. Recalibrate the TPMS for the best results.

·
Registered
237 Posts
4...should you get two key fobs with remote buttons, as I only got one key,
You could be in an expensive situation and hassle if you lose your one key.

Maybe the previous owner who is abroad has the second key on him or it's in his drawer at home, etc. I would inquire with the couple about it. She could be able to send an e-mail to ask the spouse.

If their reply isn't favorable, then consider ordering another key and/or having your key & starter ignition re-programmed (so a potential missing key out there would not be able to start your vehicle).

Keep enjoying the ride!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I bought a two year old 453 Passion cabrio privately, but the owner was not there as he was working abroad, and his wife did not know answers to my questions.

5..The tire pressure warning comes up but does it tell which tire is low pressure, wil it go away automatically when I pump up tires.

Thanks guys. I am enjoying the car.

The last screen on the instrument cluster has 'Reset TPMS'
Don't hit the OK button until you have your tire pressures where you want them.
It reads the values as the new reference and the tire light goes away.
The 453 TPMS is pretty sensitive - when it gets cold and if one tire is 2 psi low, the tire light will come on.
But it's easy to set again, once you have all the tires at the pressures you like.
For example, I like 30 psi Front 32 psi Rear for the Sport 8Y 16" rims, but the tire place likes to inflate them to 45psi...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I will get back onto previous owners wife and find out about spare key, if they still have it somewhere.

Do you know if there is a four digit code for the standard radio on the Passion, as I have been through the paperwork and do not see a security code?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Seems going by other websites I tried, that there is no 4 digit code on the standard radio or the DAB/sat nav LCD display screen of the higher trim Fortwo's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts