Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Smart Fortwo Pure, silver and black, tinkering new mods now.
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new 9" Android 10 head unit with front DVR, rear back up camera, 4G SIM slot, 6gig ram, 128gig storage, 8 core processor, RGB ambient lighting (not used yet), voice control, and so on. Also picked up a new amp and a few little baby subs to go with it. Amp and subs will be wired and fired tomorrow. Next will be tackling the door speaker replacement and adding a matching two channel amp to complete the sound system...I think.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of sound, for a tiny car!
Hahaha they are only tiny little 6 1/2" subs but they are beefy little guys! I may end up going with a smaller sealed box depending on how they sound with different music. I picked this up as an "open box" for $20 more then it cost to buy the two subs separately. It was factory sealed and brand new so I'm confused but I'm not complaining. If I didn't have to get up at 4am I'd be wiring it up now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lots of sound, for a tiny car! Blow the plastic panels off.
What I'm really worried about it the alternator...to be honest. I've found a few 150amp alternators in Europe that claim to be for a 453 but I'm just not super familiar with what's truly available for these cars. Also cant find any info on alternator replacement for these cars. If it can be done without dropping the engine then I'm all over it.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
i Don’t know about a 453. The 451, you have to drop the engine to replace the alternator.

·
Registered
601 Posts
^ it’s true which is why I haven’t done my full supine system upgrade yet.(doubt the 90 amp alternator can handle it)
There may be a few under dash sub box options(not sure) for it that you can do.
I don’t think I could lose the cargo space like that.(it sure would sound great though)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i Don’t know about a 453. The 451, you have to drop the engine to replace the alternator.
I can assume that may be the case with the 453 as well. I'll look in to it shortly. If it's not too bad I'll drop the engine for the alternator swap...as long as these alternators I found are a true match for the car.

^ it’s true which is why I haven’t done my full supine system upgrade yet.(doubt the 90 amp alternator can handle it)

I'm going to try an XS Power D4700 as a direct fit replacement main battery and add an XS Power XP750 under the passenger seat as a secondary battery. I've had very good luck in the past with very similar battery combos, ran them trouble free for years with much higher wattage/amperage draw. I'll monitor voltage and see how she does. Hopefully the 453 alternator handles it well. I'm not "Mr super freaking loud" all the time these days anyway but I have a hard time enjoying music on dull sounding stereo systems.

There may be a few under dash sub box options(not sure) for it that you can do.
I don’t think I could lose the cargo space like that.(it sure would sound great though)
Yeah the cargo space is a bummer to lose but the amp will be under the driver seat so the sub box can easily be moved by simply pulling the the single wire from the spring terminals and capping off the wire ends. Yeah it's a bit of a pain but I'll use the stereo much more often then the cargo space.

·
Registered
601 Posts
True.
Let me know if the upgraded alternator works for you as I’ll have to grab up one for mine before I do my complete setup.
Plus it would allow me to add the compressor I would need to make the air suspension fully adjustable that I’m adding.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True.
Let me know if the upgraded alternator works for you as I’ll have to grab up one for mine before I do my complete setup.
Plus it would allow me to add the compressor I would need to make the air suspension fully adjustable that I’m adding.
No problem man I'll let you know if I end up needing to go that route. Air suspension huh? What's the details on that set up?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hopefully the stock alternator can handle it but with the multiple modules and shift/clutch motors I doubt it.
Yeah i had a Escalade that had it in the rear(as does my 79 Chrysler cordoba which has aftermarket air shocks) so I guess I kinda got spoiled to the smooth ride they give.
This is my first doing it on all four corners on a vehicle.
I’ll be doing a thread about it when I get everything it takes to install them and air them up(apparently when you don’t get the entire package you have to pay extra for the valves to air them up with)
Oh well it’s better then a 60amp compressor nuking the alternator first time it fires up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully the stock alternator can handle it but with the multiple modules and shift/clutch motors I doubt it.
Yeah i had a Escalade that had it in the rear(as does my 79 Chrysler cordoba which has aftermarket air shocks) so I guess I kinda got spoiled to the smooth ride they give.
This is my first doing it on all four corners on a vehicle.
I’ll be doing a thread about it when I get everything it takes to install them and air them up(apparently when you don’t get the entire package you have to pay extra for the valves to air them up with)
Oh well it’s better then a 60amp compressor nuking the alternator first time it fires up.
That does sound interesting. I wonder how good of a ride you could actually get on the miniscule wheelbase. I was fairly surprised at how bad the ride "isn't" when I first drove my 453.

Yeah I'd love to see what you come up with on the air ride set-up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Got my amp wired up, subs connected, and just added a set of tweeters to my dash (no I couldn't add the factory JBL tweets in the stock location). I have a Pure with manual adjust mirrors right where the JBL tweets would go.

I also have an XS Power D4700 battery (factory size) and also an XS Power XP750 battery to fit under the passenger seat. Hopefully this will negate any amperage issues. I've done very similar in the past with very good results. I don't ask much of the amp anyway. I don't push it hard very often and when I do it's for a very short time. Most of the time it's just pulling a few amps, enough to make my music sound good and healthy.

These tweeters are much bigger then I expected or hoped but It's not all bad. The housing is white so it kind of goes with the white trim on my instruments. The red is not near as vivid as appears in the picture.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I’ll be doing a thread on it once I get them installed.
Sound system looks great.
I’d still be a bit concerned about the alternator

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
That a nice looking unit. Better then the OEM. It’s a shame there isn’t a volume knob. Does your steering wheel controls operate the system? Does it have Apple car play, and Android auto? Back up camera too? Those little red twitters look good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That a nice looking unit. Better then the OEM. It’s a shame there isn’t a volume knob. Does your steering wheel controls operate the system? Does it have Apple car play, and Android auto? Back up camera too? Those little red twitters look good.
View attachment 66491
Yes sir it came with a canbus decoder for Smart 453 specifically. So yes the steering wheel controls all work (you can even re-map them however you desire), a window pops up and shows a door open, when you change the heat/air settings a window pops up and shows fan speed and ambient temp, front DVR camera, rear camera, Apple Car Play, and Android Auto all came with it. All those things were options I paid extra for but yes they are all there. The info pop up windows can be shut off individually as well.

Actually those tweeters sound great as well. Those factory speakers are so midrange heavy that it just drove me nuts. I hate to adjust EQ as well because that only enhances distortion. The added tweets really helped with clarity and detail and I didn't have to ruin the clean signal with EQ boosting. I'll listen to it for a week or two and decide if those tweets are enough to stop me from replacing the door speakers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ll be doing a thread on it once I get them installed.
Sound system looks great.
I’d still be a bit concerned about the alternator
Hahaha, don't worry man....I am still concerned about the alternator.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Trust me you’ll be replacing the door speakers very soon.
I put diamond audio three components in mine and what a difference in audio quality they made.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let me know how it holds up under pressure.
Will do man. The XS Power batteries are supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I'll top them both off for a few days on an AGM trickle charger and then wire them up in the Smart early next week. After that I will actually set the gain on my amp properly and gain match the head unit. As of now the gain is barely 1/4 of the way up. This head unit seems to have a fairly low voltage output so it will need much more gain on the amp to be properly set. It's at a very safe and low wattage adjustment for now because this car still has the factory 2015 dated battery in it...with 72,000 miles on her.

Anyway, I'll step it up and adjust it properly next week. I just want to give my alternator a fair chance at the very least. Then we will see where my voltages go as I drive and play music.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts