Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just installed polk db651 speakers in the car, sound so much better than the stock ones!taking the door shin off the drivers side took some time " just dident want to fubar it"2ed door went smooth.the speakers are marine grade . why you may ask, looks like to me there is a chance to get some water in the doors, and i have them in the boat also so i like the full range sound.

·
Registered
339 Posts
do u have radio 9? I must get some Polks. I dont want to install them though. Afraid I may screw it up. Will dealer install? Price?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got the speakers from CIRCUIT CITY they were $99 i think they would have intalled them but it was the first smart they have seen and they dident want to mess it up so i did it myself . really love the sound now > now i can crank it up at the stop lights and i cant hear all the questions people are asking like" whats the hell is that?!?!?!? oh i know what that is!!!!!!!!! what the hell is that?!!?!?!?!?"lol

·
Registered
442 Posts
A few tips on door skin removal.
I read the brit section but I found some things they had wrong or I misread...
The plastic over the mirror has one screw and the piece pulls straight up.
The next piece has two screws and slides up (at the soft rubber part) and forward.
Now the mirror comes off. The clip pushes out (I think) then a tough pull on the wiring socket.

The top of the door has 2 not 3 soft clips to pop.
Do this with the window down and the rubber stays WITH the door panel not like I read.
After slamming the panel forward a 1/2", it'll drop at the front and pop free.

DON'T not have the door handle in place before putting the panel back on. It won't go on later unless there's a trick I didn't find.
Getting the lower front panel edge back over the door frame is a real bite!
After that, pushing the front edge of the sealing back far enough to seat the panel is easier but still distasteful.

Now you can look down the window hole and get all three/four (two in the middle) clips in their tracks. If one isn't in there, it Won't move.
Double check your door handle and its tabs then slide the panel back.
Don't do it in the dark because trying it one-handed with a drop light in the other doesn't work.
Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Would love to know the maximum depth of door speakers that will clear the window. Bought the evolution stand off adapter brackets but would love to have the speakers ready to install when I pull the doors apart rather then opening up to measure then reassemble until ordered speakers arrive. Preferred Focal speakers are about 65 mm deep. Thanks

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Would love to know the maximum depth of door speakers that will clear the window. Bought the evolution stand off adapter brackets but would love to have the speakers ready to install when I pull the doors apart rather then opening up to measure then reassemble until ordered speakers arrive. Preferred Focal speakers are about 65 mm deep. Thanks
Crutchfild audio, might be able to help you with the right speaker dimensions.

·
Registered
479 Posts
2-1/4 inches if my memory serves correctly. If you mount the speakers on the inner door, you gain another 1/4ish inch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts