Smart Car of America Forum banner

New Steering Wheel Controls for Audio???

15K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Raymond Ramesar 
#1 ·
This picture is from the smart car website. They show some kind of steering wheel controls I'm wondering if this is something I might be able to retro fit on my 2008 four-two? It's a big pet peeve that we don't have the ability (and added safety) to have simple audio controls on the steering wheel.

Is this just for the new E-smart? Anyone know? I called the 800 number and they didn't know. :)

Thanks in advance for any info and replies.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Those are the controls for the optional Cruise Control unit on >2011 model years of both the fortwo and Electric Drive.

There aren't any steering wheel controls for the radio for the 451 unless you go aftermarket.

As for retrofitting the >2011 Cruise Control wheel to an earlier vehicle. It's possible, but would require a fat wallet and a computer genius...

#4 ·
Those are the controls for the optional Cruise Control unit on >2011 model years of both the fortwo and Electric Drive.

There aren't any steering wheel controls for the radio for the 451 unless you go aftermarket.
Wanted to say thanks for the response and ask if you know of "Aftermarket steering wheel radio controls"? I have yet to find an aftermarket solution for my 2008.

#3 ·
Cruze control! A-ha! Now I'm wondering if it would be possible to take an aftermarket PAC radio module steering wheel harness and wire it to those buttons...

...So that one could use the buttons to control the radio, say simple stuff like volume up and down and maybe cycle though preset stations?

So the question is does anyone think or know if the silver part pictured above would fit / replace (without obstruction to the horn/air bag) from the 2011 backward compatible to the 2008?

That way I could swap out the silver part and then have the buttons wired to work with my aftermarket radio, etc.

i.e. use those buttons for radio control NOT cruise control.

???

#5 ·
You could swap that wheel into an older car, but in order to make them work for the stock radio you'll need to figure out how to wire the buttons to the desired controls.

It wouldn't be impossible, just probably not worth the time or effort...if it could be done...

Otherwise your only hope for steering wheel controls is to swap out your entire radio for an aftermarket unit with steering wheel controls.

#7 ·
And the buttons are big and easy to memorize too. Big round one turns it up, furthest to the right shuffles my song, the one right next to it reverse shuffles, and if I need to look at the screen, the interface is easy to operate and look at.

Reactions: kheran
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.