Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
I don't even understand how that can even work? How could it move that much juice so quickly? I'd love to understand this better. Awesome if it makes its way to market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
17,304 Posts
It completely dumps lithium-ion chemistry. Seems they felt what I've been feeling for a while now, and it's that the future of battery tech is not Lithium. It's too unstable, too much to deal with.

Looks like these guys are using the same concept of a lithium car battery (layering the cells), but instead the cells have some sort of organic material and other chemistry they aren't willing to talk about (best not to if you have a revolutionary idea).

Now, there big questions to ask here. How much power does it take to charge that fast? What's the battery's lifespan? How does the battery handle heat (as in terms of range and performance)? How heavy is it? How expensive is it?

Assuming the battery's other specs match up to the five minute, 300 miles, not flammable claims, the future is going to be awesome. This battery can blow the phone industry out the water, where battery tech has been stagnant over the past few or so years.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If true, this would be wonderful. BUT...

there have been lots of folks claiming to know the secret to a new revolutionary battery over the years. All turned out to be vaporware, or just minor incremental improvements. Time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath...

On the charger side: Let's assume you need a 80kWh battery for that 300 mile range and want to charge in 5 min. That requires just under 1 MW of power. It will require siting at places that have the infrastructure to support it. And someone still has to invent a vehicle interface that can transmit that kind of power. It's >3x over the maximum the currently most ambitious system (CCS) plans to eventually support.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts