Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new set of tires before winter in Minnesota. I need a good set of All-Season tires. Any recommendations?

Should I just go with the Continental Contiprocontact?

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
If you want great traction, you can't lose with a set of Blizzacks. They can be tough to find but they work the best. I tried a set of altimax all season tires ( all 4 the same size) and was disappointed in their performance on snow packed roads. Trying some altimax snows this year. they should be better as they are dedicated snows and a directional pattern which has worked well in the past.

Snow tires will always outperform All Season Radials if you get some wet heavy stuff, but then I either stay home or drive something with 4WD.

If you want to stay with an all season radial, In my opinion the Kumhos were a better tire and worked better than the Conti's. Going with all 4 rims the same will open up more possibilities as does going with a larger tire. You will need to watch the rim width as the stock front rims are pretty skinny.

·
Super Moderator
1,689 Posts
Might want to look at Vredesteins too.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 7,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
1,689 Posts
You really think he/she gets snow where he/she is? :)

The Vredesteins have that M + S logo.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 7,000 miles

·
Registered
882 Posts
I need a new set of tires before winter in Minnesota. I need a good set of All-Season tires. Any recommendations?

Should I just go with the Continental Contiprocontact?
Sweet Smart. LUBE YOUR CHASSIS AND SUSPENSION POINTS.

I'm in the Same boat and leaning toward some version of Kumhos, KUMHO WINTERCRAFT ICE WI31 195/55R15 (BSW) 2166893 89 T on the rear and WINTERCRAFT ICE WI31 185/55R15 (BSW) 2167013 82 T on the front I am in NYC because of the decent snow removal process I think I might be able to cut a path in some snow packed roads with these. but I am cheap and will be waiting as long as possible before make a purchase. Anyone try these?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. Plenty of snow where I live, which is great most of the time. I really don't want to get snow tires and deal with storing them the rest of the year. Not to mention the hassle of putting them on and taking them off every year.

I like the idea of having the same size tires on all four. Would I have to get new rims for the front? What is the ride like?

·
Registered
820 Posts
If you want real four season tires, the Vredestein Quatrac 5's are the way to go.
I drive all year in North Vancouver, B.C., Canada and in the winter venture
up to the Whistler Mountain ski resort with no problems whatsoever.
The ride is so much softer than the OEM Conti's and, much quieter too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We put a set of Blizzacks on our '05 (Gray market) smart and it performed wonderfully through several Chicago winters. Rear engine, rear wheel drive and good tires make for a great snow car.

FWIW I figured out how to disable the stability control which made it a hoot to throw around in the snow! Not recommended for the faint of heart!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put a stock set of Kumho's on my 2008 451 about 3 years ago. I live in Pennsylvania. While we don't have quite the snowfall you see, they have done great for me. I definitely like them better than the Conti's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts