Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I purchased a used 2009 Passion yesterday with 60,400 miles from Dublin Toyota in Dublin, CA. They had it from a trade-in.

I love everything about it, quirks and all. BUT, something happened last night that freaked me out a bit until I googled and found this same issue discussed until my eyes rolled back into my head from reading the tranny problem posts.

The tranny Reverse (or lack of) issue. I stopped at a convenience store and no reverse. Instead I get a blank dash indicator and beeping sound from dashboard.

I fiddled and shifted and worried and panicked and nearly shat myself before the R appeared and beeping ceased.

Anyway, I'm not going to take it back to the Toyota Dealer. Not going to deal with them. The reason being the drivers side seatbelt buckle was jammed and I was not able to buckle in for the test drive. I did buckle my strap into the passenger buckle and took it for a spin. They said they'd fix it tomorrow (Monday) and I don't want to deal with them. :rolleyes:

I went home and worked it over with a butter knife and WD40 and able to buckle if using both hands. :wink:

It's due for its 60,000 mile service anyway. I'm thinking I'll take it to San Francisco Smart Dealer this week and have them check it out.

A few questions for the group:

1. How much should I expect to shell out for the 60k service?

2. Germany's Best in Berkeley advertises they are Smart Car Service Tech's. They're more convenient, but should I go to the dealer because of the tranny issue?

I prolly have more questions but this is a good start.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
You might need to take it back to the dealer you bought it from. If you're getting the 3-bars you might need a software upgrade to the computer, or possibly a little more work...

It was a relatively common issue in the 2008-2009 MY smart's. No longer is that the case with the newer ones thankfully.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It was purchased from Toyota, not Smart Car dealer. I don't want to take chances with them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Spoke with Germany's Best yesterday and dropped it off this morning. They're doing the 60k service, computer upgrade, and seat belt buckle repair. $800. I'll pick it up tomorrow. $800 is a lot. Praying for Reverse.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks. Spoke with Germany's Best yesterday and dropped it off this morning. They're doing the 60k service, computer upgrade, and seat belt buckle repair. $800. I'll pick it up tomorrow. $800 is a lot. Praying for Reverse.

one of the "perks" of owning a smercedesart :read:

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
...for that kind of money make sure they check every box...and sign at the bottom...
...don't be afraid to ask...

Reset maintenance counter in cluster
Grease hinges and locks of doors and hatch

Replace
air cleaner element
brake fluid
car key battery
engine oil and filter
flat belt and spark plugs
activated charcoal filter for A/C

Check
battery fluid level and condition
body, underside of vehicle and paint for damage
brake system/brake hoses for tightness
central locking system for proper operation
condition of front axle ball joints and boots
condition of steering mechanical components and rubber boots
disk brake pads for lining thickness
engine coolant level and strength
engine, gearbox, tubes and hoses for tightness
exhaust system for tightness and correct fixation
flat belt for condition and wear
headlamp setting, correct if necessary
horn, interior and exterior lights, warning lights, A/C system, seat heating for proper operation
parking brake function
seat belts for damage and proper function
tires and wheels for damage, condition and single-sided wear
tire pressure, correct if necessary;
LF____ RF____ LR____ RR____
tire tread depth, enter in mm;
LF____ RF____ LR____ RR____
windshield washer system fluid level, correct if necessary
windshield wiper blade condition and wiper/washer system function
valve clearance adjustment, correct if necessary
Dealer Service Verification
Date: Mileage:
Initial:

Jetfuel...it's your money....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Take it to the smart dealer. There's a software update to fix the shifting into reverse issue. It's a known bug. Around $100 or so. Just had mine done with the same issue.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Johnny:
Ditto on the above. I got a used one with almost 100k and it had not been run through the software upgrade. Same problem as yours. In addition to solving the R problem the shifts will be soooo... much smoother. Welcome to the forum! You will find that you have not just bought a used car. You have more inherited a sort of lifestyle. A most pleasant one.:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all. They did the 60k and computer upgrade. The good news is the car is now even more awesome and shifts much smoother. The bad news is, the simple computer upgrade did not fix the REVERSE issue and I need a new shifter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts