Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!!

On Monday I picked up a 2009 Smart Passion Convertible with 62k miles!! I thought it was a steal, so after test driving it for a bout 30 min I pulled the trigger. The seller said it had some strange noises, the driver door looked like it was falling off and the tach was broken off the base and not working- paid $1,400 but needs new tires and brakes. Already have powerstops on order.

I'd like to thank this community for how helpful you are!! Thanks to you I managed scour thru this site and find answers to following:

Weird muffle/fart noises from under the driver seat: Subwoofer making that noise, unplugged connector on bottom right. Noise is now gone
Driver door looked like it was going to fall off: tighten all hinge screws (PITA to remove and put back being the first time)
Tach broken and not working: the "neck" of the tach was broken off and connector to tach was unplugged. plugged in, made sure it was nice and tight and put a dab of crazy glue around the neck and put the tack in a good location
I have the clearcoat peel issue around the car (red) so ill be looking into a wrap or maybe get it repainted. not sure tho.

Does anyone know where I can find/order a spare blank key? want to have a copy just in case. I'll check ebay
im going to do an oil change with Mobil 0-40 i believe? i'll also be picking up a cabin filter and Mobil oil filter
Any concerns from you guys about the car in 2019? any tips?
The soft cover seems to be in real good condition. no rips, tears, stains or fading. I havent washed it to test any leaks but will do that shortly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Enjoy! I'm a newbie here myself! My lesson learned...Be sure to clean and inspect all the rubber gaskets for the top BEFORE you wash it. Also highly encourage you condition the top to keep it in good shape. I too need another key but the cost to have it cut and programmed is daunting...curious what you ultimately do.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well, we both have similar vintage smarts.... and both have used this site, it is a gold mine!
When you can, take a look at Evilution, its a pay site, but well worth it.
Things you may want to consider....
Clutch actuator
Gear shift motors
Tranny fluid change
Smart madness cold air intake.
Zero Camber rear wheels.
Tightening the Cabrio top...

Its a great car and fun to drive...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Instead of the smart madness Cai get an eBay silicone intake tube and a k&n filter. And do some more research on the zero camber.
Well, we both have similar vintage smarts.... and both have used this site, it is a gold mine!
When you can, take a look at Evilution, its a pay site, but well worth it.
Things you may want to consider....
Clutch actuator
Gear shift motors
Tranny fluid change
Smart madness cold air intake.
Zero Camber rear wheels.
Tightening the Cabrio top...

Its a great car and fun to drive...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip! i live in the DFW area so i might plan a trip to Austin and splurge a bit on accessories (cold air intake, cargo cover). Ill look into getting the top tightened.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts