Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 156 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
That cradle thing was simply a joke..
In my opinion, if the cradle thing is a joke, then the phone I'm using is a joke. A higher end Samsung or iPhone smartphone can run any app and therefore perform all the functions of the Android tablet that is installed as an aftermarket unit. The screen is not as large, but that doesn't bother me at all.

I have an Android head unit, and I have an Android phone. My most recent apps and updated apps are on my phone, and I don't have to worry about downloading my fav apps a second time on an Android head unit when I use my phone. My phone is more up to date than the head unit in my smart because I can only access the Internet through hotspot that comes from, ironically enough, my phone.

If you prefer a larger screen, I have no complaints. I'm a fan of both. I'm just trying to weed out the difference between needs and wants. I never felt like the a problem, although I certainly respect your preference for the larger touchscreen.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
In my opinion, if the cradle thing is a joke, then the phone I'm using is a joke. A higher end Samsung or iPhone smartphone can run any app and therefore perform all the functions of the Android tablet that is installed as an aftermarket unit. The screen is not as large, but that doesn't bother me at all.

I have an Android head unit, and I have an Android phone. My most recent apps and updated apps are on my phone, and I don't have to worry about downloading my fav apps a second time on an Android head unit when I use my phone. My phone is more up to date than the head unit in my smart because I can only access the Internet through hotspot that comes from, ironically enough, my phone.

If you prefer a larger screen, I have no complaints. I'm a fan of both. I'm just trying to weed out the difference between needs and wants. I never felt like the a problem, although I certainly respect your preference for the larger touchscreen.
The only complaint i had with the cradle was the fact that it cannot hold an iphone 7plus properly, and my ocd kicks in every time I see it during my drive. I have no preference on either bigger screen or small screen. I cannot switch cellphones every time I choose to drive the smart, so it was the main reason that I chose this aftermarket unit to replace the factory unit.

I agree with you the fact that when it comes to update, I have to update the apps twice, once on my phone and once on the tablet. But for the most part, the tablet will update itself whenever it connect to a hotspot and I have unlimited data plan. Or it simply connects to my home wifi automatically after I shut it off the car (I set the unit turn off after 5 minutes), so I have no problem with it.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The only complaint i had with the cradle was the fact that it cannot hold an iphone 7plus properly, and my ocd kicks in every time I see it during my drive. I have no preference on either bigger screen or small screen. I cannot switch cellphones every time I choose to drive the smart, so it was the main reason that I chose this aftermarket unit to replace the factory unit.

I agree with you the fact that when it comes to update, I have to update the apps twice, once on my phone and once on the tablet. But for the most part, the tablet will update itself whenever it connect to a hotspot and I have unlimited data plan. Or it simply connects to my home wifi automatically after I shut it off the car (I set the unit turn off after 5 minutes), so I have no problem with it.
A larger cradle is now available, and I have some in stock right now. Contact me and I'll steer you in the direction to obtain one very quickly. :nerd:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A larger cradle is now available, and I have some in stock right now. Contact me and I'll steer you in the direction to obtain one very quickly. :nerd:
lol I wish I could, I have invested quite a few amount of $$$ to make it work with factory JBL package (a new amplifier and custom wiring), plus the aftermarket amplifier improved sound quality quite a bit. If I turn it back to factory unit, I may have to go through the trouble all over again.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just purchased this one from e bay- hoping I posted pic correctly
Easy and simple solution. I thought about getting the same one but I went with a more expensive route and believed 453 deserved a more modern interior look like its exterior.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
No apple car play on this unit. It is basically an Android tablet with OEM look. It has an app called mirrorlink, and you can mirror your cellphone screen onto the display. I am an iphone user too, but ever since I installed this unit, I just turn on the hotpot on my phone and use this tablet as my music, navigation and HBO (you can catch a few episodes of Game of thrones while stuck in the SoCal traffic lol). My phone call is still answered via bluetooth and built microphone on the unit.

Thanks, that a nice looking aftermarket unit. I had touch screen, navigation,Bluetooth, LTE, HDMI, Sirius units in my vehicles over the years. We just bought a new vehicle, with OEM Apple car Play and navigation. Love it. Prefect integration with our iPhones. Now very spoiled.

The cheapest vehicles on the road have touch screens, LTE wifi, navigation, and Apple car play.

·
17,384 Posts
I like inventing things. Using a Scosche phone cradle that I've had since 2010 I modified the tiny smart cradle to accept bigger loads.

You can't even tell it isn't factory. :wink:

In other news, I ADORE that Brabus!!! Congratulations!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Hi,is this new cradle an original smart part or aftermarket?
The larger one I'm talking about is OEM.

I haven't seen that aftermarket thing somebody posted after you, even if it has that smart logo on there I know it isn't original equipment. Somebody built a cradle and fabbed up the smart logo and voila! If that's oem, I'm learning something new today. Otherwise, I believe it is aftermarket.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks, that a nice looking aftermarket unit. I had touch screen, navigation,Bluetooth, LTE, HDMI, Sirius units in my vehicles over the years. We just bought a new vehicle, with OEM Apple car Play and navigation. Love it. Prefect integration with our iPhones. Now very spoiled.

The cheapest vehicles on the road have touch screens, LTE wifi, navigation, and Apple car play.
I have Apply car play in my other vehicles, I like every piece of it except Apple navigation. I tried to jailbreak my phone and use Google map on the car play, but it would crash sometimes, not very reliable. Do you use navigation a lot? If so, do you have problems with apple navigation?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The larger one I'm talking about is OEM.

I haven't seen that aftermarket thing somebody posted after you, even if it has that smart logo on there I know it isn't original equipment. Somebody built a cradle and fabbed up the smart logo and voila! If that's oem, I'm learning something new today. Otherwise, I believe it is aftermarket.
I can confirm it, it is indeed an aftermarket accessory. You will be amazed to see similar car accessories on AliExpress or Taobao. When I was doing my research, tons of them and not only for Smart cars, you can find any brands and any models on there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I like inventing things. Using a Scosche phone cradle that I've had since 2010 I modified the tiny smart cradle to accept bigger loads.

You can't even tell it isn't factory. :wink:

In other news, I ADORE that Brabus!!! Congratulations!!!
You are really creative! Initially, I thought about getting a cup holder cell phone/tablet mount off Amazon. but given the fact that our cargo space has already extremely limited from the beginning, I gave up on that idea.

Thank you, I really appreciate it! I read your 453 pick up/road trip story right before I create my profile on this forum. I love it and it brought back a lot of memories: I'm from Chicago, river north area to be specifically, went to school in Wisconsin. During my military career, I was once stationed in Ft. Carson in Colorado. my girlfriend (now my wife) was from SoCal, but she went to same school with me. So the route you pick on your way home, I have driven many times, especially the twisty mountain road in Colorado along the Interstate 70. Maybe next time I visit home, I should take my Smart :laugh:

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
I have Apply car play in my other vehicles, I like every piece of it except Apple navigation. I tried to jailbreak my phone and use Google map on the car play, but it would crash sometimes, not very reliable. Do you use navigation a lot? If so, do you have problems with apple navigation?
The car is brand new. Really haven't had to use the navigation yet. The issue we have. Both my wife, and I have iPhones. The system system seems to have issues with who's paired to it. I leave Bluetooth on continually, becacuse of my Apple Watch. This new car is hers. The unit seems to get mixed up. When my daughter gets in the car. She has a iPhone too, Bluetooth to her watch. She's got it paired to that unit too. Her music.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The car is brand new. Really haven't had to use the navigation yet. The issue we have. Both my wife, and I have iPhones. The system system seems to have issues with who's paired to it. I leave Bluetooth on continually, becacuse of my Apple Watch. This new car is hers. The unit seems to get mixed up. When my daughter gets in the car. She has a iPhone too, Bluetooth to her watch. She's got it paired to that unit too. Her music.
From my experience, the bluetooth usually pairs with the last paired device. If your wife were the last person who drove the car, then when you guys get in, it will automatically search for hers, if her bluetooth is not turned on, then it will search for other paired devices. The Apple CarPlay is connected via cable as far as I know, the only wireless Apple CarPlay device that I know of is an aftermarket unit from Alpine so far. So your OEM Apple CarPlay should be operated when you plug it in, and the moment you plug it in, the music, phone, everything else will be connected via cable instead of bluetooth. At that time, the bluetooth in your car should be deactivated by default until you unplug your phone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I see you have some larger cradles available to accommodate larger cell phones ( I phone 6 or 7) how can I purchase one? Thanks. GERRY C.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Not quite on the highest price.

My salesman messed up so bad that MB asked me if I wanted them to pursue the blatant behavioral problem. I said no.. they said, one more issue and we will do it on our own.

Instead of ordering the car I wanted, he ordered the most expensive car in the line, without two options because they were redundant and not available for that car.

It would have topped 30,000$ with tax.

The first lease was perfect, seven months later, he doesn't inform me my car came, ignored my emails, did not call me, would not turn in my finance papers which were approved in hours, even though I already have a 2016 lease.

If there is a dealer out there with a new 2017 for lease, 139$, Smart ED, air, cruise, please message me. MB financing is already approved but will have to be done again as a formality.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If there is a dealer out there with a new 2017 for lease, 139$, Smart ED, air, cruise, please message me.
I have USAA insurance, I believe there are up to $3000 discount alone from USAA till the end of this month. With current Smart sales number low, and new 2018s are arriving, I am pretty sure there are some sweet deals out there..

21 - 40 of 156 Posts