Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After towing our 2011 convertible behind our motorhome this week, we've had an unusual issue.

I've only had one other problem getting our Smart reset after towing. Usually it comes back to life with no problems. This time it took a couple of tries. Today my wife tries to start it and nothing. Shows P when in park, but no turnover. After some effort, she gets it started. Drives to work. Gets out at lunch to get gas with no trouble. Then when she's trying to get home (at 11pm!) she gets the no start again. After several tries of the reset ritual and removing negative again, she gets it going and drives home. Now its in a no start situation again.

What's up?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Maybe the starter, if battery checks out. I had to replace the starter on Cheewawa last summer. P lighted up but nothing else.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starts fine when it starts. Even moves sometimes when it starts. Most of the time won't. Not the "3 lines of death" I hear about (or see when we bring it back up after towing) just a P in park, nothing showing trying to get into reverse, N when finding neutral, then nothing again when in D. Using the rebooting method to get the transmission to work usually gets it to a no start situation. And then again it works fine. Just scared to drive it anywhere.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the battery voltage just now and it's showing about 12.5. Over 14 when its cranked, so my thinking is it's not an electrical problem. I tried the white lithium grease in the port on top of the shift motor to see it that works. For now it seems to be working. My wife has had it out a few times since our problems and it worked fine for her. It's still a car I want to get rid of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had a similar problem, sometimes it would drive fine at other times it wouldn't engage into Drive or reverse only Park and neutral,

After rebuilding the transmission, problem was back after 2 days, came to find out it was a bad actuator, it was an easy swap, unplug and remove 3 bolts and in went the new one, no problems ever since

Got it from Sachs parts for around $325

1 - 6 of 6 Posts