Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone -

I'm a new Smart owner and I have a million (three) questions:

1) What is the recommend PSI for the front and rear tires? The label inside the driver's side door was rubbed off.

2) From experience, do you recommend taking it to the Smart center instead of finding an independent mechanic? I was mostly worried about cost, but I want someone knowledgeable too. I think since I bought it from a private seller I should take it in for a tune-up.

3) I'm not getting great gas mileage :( 27 at last count. I am using the a/c a lot since it is over 90 degrees in Philly. Do we think that's the main issue? I'm also keeping it on automatic and learning to drive it less aggressively.

Thank you everyone!!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
29 Front
36 Rear

Yes, at least have it checked by the dealer to see if it needs anything?

Gentle starts and stops is a good thing. Might consider replacing spark plugs?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Welcome to SOCA. If the car has been sitting for a while it could have a tank of bad gas. When I purchase any vehicle I do the basics rite off the bat with checking air, air filter, oil, plugs, wires, battery, etc. I only run 91 or better gas, 93 around Ohio and we average 41.3 mpg. I also do not get gas from a station that looks bad. If a station looks bad chances are the restrooms are bad and I would guess the same goes for their gas. Sunoco, BP, Shell are probably my most common fill ups. 41.3 is the average so expressway, city, top up or down, ac on doesn't matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The engine requires high octane fuel; as soon as you have used up what is currently in the tank get in the habit of using only premium gas and you will immediately see an improvement in mpg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts