Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I just joined here. My fiancée just moved in with me bringing her 2007 Smart 451 coupé with her - and the service light came on the other day. It's not a car I'm familiar with (I'm a Saab nut) but I thought servicing would be a basic skills exercise...

Changing the oil and the air filter was easy, I then started on the spark plugs. The two outermost ones came out just fine using a short extension and a ratchet wrench, however the spark plug nearest the centre of the car - the one thats almost directly under the retaining piece for the service hatch - seems incredibly stiff. I gave up trying to get it out in case it was cross threaded for fear of never managing to get compression again (after four or five ratchets it was still taking a lot of strength to turn, so I wound it back IN a bit and put the coil back on it.)

The car runs wiht 2 new and one old plug but I know this is a problem that needs attention as that old plugs done 25,000 miles and is at the end of its life.

Until now this car was always serviced - since new - by the Smart/Mercedes dealership that originally sold it (at great cost and needlessly in my opinion). Is there any known trend of the innermost spark plug being cross threaded due to limited access? And is there a standard procedure for repairing if so? Or am I over-thinking a normal tight plug and should I just get my inner gorrilla on the job?

I am guessing this means a new head for the engine and am inwardly wincing at the likely cost - I do basic engine servicing but I don't think I can do that

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer

Regards
Chris

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Have not had an issue with any of the 3 smarts I have owned, but anything is possible.Maybe try some penetrant spray, once you back it out a bit, spray it and tighten it again. let it sit a bit and repeat until the plug comes out. No guarantee it will work but I'd say you don't have much choice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts