Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
17,390 Posts
I’m jelly, I love it!!!!! I wish cabover pickups and vans were a thing in the US, but crash safety and all that.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some more details. This is a late 1990, which was the first year of the fifth generation of the Sambar. The van and truck share a lot of mechanicals. They came in a regular and supercharged option. As is required under Japanese regulations, the maximum displacement is limited to 660CC. Most Kei class vehicles use a 3 cylinder, while Subaru uses 4.
These are being imported under the 25 year rule, so they can in fact be titled and registered to be road driven in most states. The rules do vary from state to state. Steve, they are road legal on all roads in OK except interstates. Here is a table of states and restrictions. PA has no law, so that means no restrictions.
Mine seems to be in pretty good shape, with 57K miles on it. It does have 4wd and A/C. I got mine from an importer in Paterson NJ. Cost me $500 to ship it to my home, which wasn't bad. Once i get it insured, i can go to the notary and have them file the paperwork to get it titled and registered in PA. I already ordered a timing belt kit along with various tune up parts. As soon as it is road legal, i am taking oit to a local garage so that they can do the work. As for now it is sitting in my garage, keeping my other import form Japan company.

State laws regarding mini trucks
Mini-truck state laws

Here is the link to the importer i got mine from
https://boekiusa.com/

Here are a few picts of my other JDM vehicle. It's a 1989 Nissan Pao

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let’s hear some more details!?!

Here’s a nice example of a 1984 Sambar currently for sale in Miami...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-subaru-sambar/
I follow BaT and have been watching these for quite a while. That one is super clean, but unfortunately for me it's only 2wd. Plus, i have a feeling that one is going to go for 2.5-3 times what it is at now ($3200). The last Kei van was one very much like mine, a 1991 white 2wd sambar with similar miles. It sold for $7K about a month ago on BaT.
The amount of room inside these is extraordinary considering their overall size. When i was looking at the pictures of mine before i purchased it, i could see these strange looking blue plaid seat covers, and the drivers one was not in the best of condition. My plan was to just remove them all, but when i got the van i soon discovered that they were a Subaru fitted seat cover set. Most likely they have been on the van since it was new. The seat under the cover is in pristine condition. My wife said she wasnt to try to repair the drivers seat cover and leave them all on.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I think you meant this comment for ’smark’...

Steve, they are road legal on all roads in OK except interstates.

Love your Pao; wouldn’t mind owning one here. My eyes are always on the lookout for an ultra-pristine Figaro.

Thanks for all the juicy details, and congrats to you!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you meant this comment for ’smark’...

Love your Pao; wouldn’t mind owning one here. My eyes are always on the lookout for an ultra-pristine Figaro.

Thanks for all the juicy details, and congrats to you!
Actually the "s" in "smark" is "steve". :)
I have noit decided if i am gong to keep the Pao or not. I will decide later in the summer. I also want a turbo intercooled Jimny, and i cant have 3 toys right now, so i will either keep these 2 or sell the Pao and buy a Jimny. Stay tuned...LOL

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Started seeing those on BAT and always wonder who is buying them. Now I know....:D
LOL, i cannot afford the kind of money that people spend on BaT. Damn there are some insane bids on that site. I paid less for my 4wd than the guy who bought the last van paid for the 2WD. A good bit less actually. People on BaT are paying $6K for minitrucks that are selling for $4K everywhere else.:shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
This is what I’d like to import from Japan, or in the UK now. 1991 Nissan Figaro. They only produced 200,000 units, that one year. Four colors, the represent spring, summer, fall, and winter. Retractable soft top. Retro roadster styling, right hand drive, automatice transmission. Large club following in the UK. You can buy a good example one, here . Because of the after 21 years law For about $20k.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steve, the Figaro, Pao, S-Cargo, and BE-1 were all produced at the Nissan Pike factory with Nissan Micra underpinnings. They only produced 50K of the Pao. You have an extra zero for the Figaro, they only made 20K of them, not 200K.
If you really would like one, you can get one for under 10K thats already here in the states.
Here is a nice one for $10,900. He has several that are less than that. under 9 or even under 8.

Used 1991 Nissan Figaro For Sale | Christiansburg VA

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Steve, the Figaro, Pao, S-Cargo, and BE-1 were all produced at the Nissan Pike factory with Nissan Micra underpinnings. They only produced 50K of the Pao. You have an extra zero for the Figaro, they only made 20K of them, not 200K.
If you really would like one, you can get one for under 10K thats already here in the states.
Here is a nice one for $10,900. He has several that are less than that. under 9 or even under 8.

Used 1991 Nissan Figaro For Sale | Christiansburg VA

I typed that wrong. I meant production of 20k. Thanks for the Figaro tip. There is a business, in the UK, called The Figaro Shop. They carry, parts, and do restoration.

That used Japanese car dealership, carries the Honda Beat too. I like that small roadster too.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I typed that wrong. I meant production of 20k. Thanks for the Figaro tip. There is a business, in the UK, called The Figaro Shop. They carry, parts, and do restoration.

That used Japanese car dealership, carries the Honda Beat too. I like that small roadster too.
Yep Duncan has almost 600 JDM vehicles, by far the biggest selection in the country. He does have some Figaro's for $6K. They are cool cars. My Pao has the canvas roof, so it comes close to the experience.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Love the new ride! I'd love to have something like that. I've seen a Figaro here in Dallas... Had no idea what it was at first! Also the same thing happened with a Pao. All very neat cars.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I sent the VA dealer link to my Air Force son. He replied that there are a few of the Mitsubishi mini trucks in use on his Base and have been for years. Interesting! We couldn’t bring them over until they were 25 years old but Uncle Sam could get them anytime he wanted to.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I sent the VA dealer link to my Air Force son. He replied that there are a few of the Mitsubishi mini trucks in use on his Base and have been for years. Interesting! We couldn’t bring them over until they were 25 years old but Uncle Sam could get them anytime he wanted to.
You actually CAN get the newer Japanese minitrucks here, you just can't register them for use on public roads. Since the AFB is not considered "public roads", they can get away with having them.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update, i have mostly sorted both the Pao and Sambar. New timing belts, water pumps, tensioners, tune ups etc etc etc. Both now have new tires since both had dry rot issues. The sambar van is slooooooow. Hills are difficult, but man does it get attention and is just plain fun to drive, even if its slow.
Cruise season will be starting next month, so i will post some pictures when that happens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts