Smart Car of America Forum banner

New video on smart leaving North America and moving production to China

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  1983JZR3W 
#1 ·
Covers some of smart's history, sales issues in NA, and future prospects teaming with Geely:
:)

#5 ·
In hindsight, I'm glad Daimler took a chance bringing the car to the U.S. I've read the company wanted to capture some of the enthusiasm surrounding the MINI, but in reality, the Smart was just too small for folks in the land of trucks, SUV's and crossovers. China makes sense of course, but I've also read Chinese buyers can be just as persnickety about brand and model as anywhere else. Success isn't guaranteed. It'll be interesting to see how the market responds.

#6 ·
So far I believe the smart has had good sales in China since it was imported there. Part ownership and production should make for success for the near future. As for the U.S., I’m still of the belief that Daimler didn’t advertise the smart correctly for the American market. So many of us use our smarts for longer distance driving instead of as a “city car”. It is a perfect commuter car.

#7 ·
It's hard to say regarding advertising. Most Americans just don't like really small cars. Some of us do, but most don't. But you're right, the ForTwo is a great commuter car. I've even taken mine on extended out-of-state trips and it preformed just fine. I'm still surprised it can zip along at 80mph+ and remain perfectly stable and straight. Basically, I bought my car solely for fun. I don't live in the city so parking advantages aren't necessary. Having owned various Miatas, Minis and vintage British sports cars, small cars are like go-karts to me and anyone who's driven a go-kart knows they are a hoot to drive. And my little turbo Smart is a definitely hoot.

Could Smart have been marketed more like the MINI? Or the Miata? Perhaps, but I don't think it would've overcome the love affair with SUVs, trucks and Jeeps. I think we'll just have to be content with the knowledge that we got it and others didn't. And frankly, I've got my eye on another conveyance that's even more unusual... the Arcimoto FUV. Hehe!

#8 ·
I'm on my second Smart car. I purchased a new 2009 Passion ICE and now I have a 2015 ED. I use them as the second car for around town and grocery store runs. I still have a SUV for long runs or large hauling. One problem with the gas Smart that I haven't seen mentioned is the maintenance costs. A typical oil change was around $300 at the dealer. I could get the oil changed on my other car for around $30. At least it only needed it once a year.

#10 ·
It sounds like you speak of your 2009 ICE in the past tense. If it's gone, then this doesn't matter. I change my oil and filter myself buying the bits usually at Wal Mart. The Mobil 1 ow40 oil and Mobil 1 M-108 filter costs less than 50 dollars and my labor is free. For 300 dollars, I can cover oil changes for 6 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.