Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.. I just got the ED couple days ago and still finding out the best solution of charging the car.

I am looking for a outlet timer for the 110V so that I can charge the car during the off peak hour. Is there any good and reliable brand/model?

Thank you for your help. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Until we had our L2 charger installed I used a WeMo Insight receptacle to control the supplied L1 charger. Worked great, provided timer, power usage logging and remote control via WiFi / Internet. The only caveat with the L1 charger is that when the power goes off it resets to 8A vs 12A charging. However, for us, 12 hours of charging between 7pm and 7am were more than sufficient on 99% of the days.

hth

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Blaine. I will give WeMo Insight a try.

I look for the car manual and change the Charge and depart setting. But mine starts charging immediately, either with "charge now" or C&D departure time set. Thats why I look for the outlet timer.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree. Mine starts charging immediately with the charge and depart setting from the stalk controls. I think the big problem is that there is no obvious way that the car can know about the local tiered usage rates. Presumably the 3G modem for the VH site interaction could help it find out, but afaik, nobody has it working.

·
Registered
527 Posts
In Ontario, the lower demand charge starts in early evening, so I just plug my car in when I get home.

The 12A charger takes around 10 hours to recharge when I take it down to 30% SOC , so that fact that my car used an hour or two at mid-peak rates is offset by the 8 hours at low rate.

Reading other forums makes me suspect other brand electric cars have more reliable charging capabilities when it comes to timers and depart settings.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Your smart ED has a charging timer built in?

It's really simple and explained very well in the manual.
No, it does not. And it's poorly explained in the user manual. The Charge and Depart indicates the time you want the car to be ready, not the time at which it should start charging. There is no way with the current software in the car to delay charging. That has to happen in the EVSE.

Thanks Blaine. I will give WeMo Insight a try.
There are quite a few solutions out there, mainly pool timers and furnace timers. There are a couple EVSE that have timers built in, but that's mainly a home-built function. Be careful with the WeMo if you're looking for a L2 EVSE switch. The 230V models are generally for EU use (50Mhz) and are rated right around 13A, which is slightly under the max draw of the smart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Woody. Actually I got the WeMo couple days ago. It works pretty well. Thanks for suggestion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there!

I'm planning to get a level 2 EVSE, which plugs into a NEMA 6-50 outlet.

I love the idea of a pool timer, or anything that allows me to auto "switch on" @ 7pm.

Is there such a thing like that?

Love the WeMo Insight idea, but Level 2 will draw up to 30A, so the poor little WeMo can't handle it...

Wanted soooo much to get the Siemens VC30BLKBCA EVSE which has delay toner feature!
If anyone can point me to where to purchase one in Canada, that would be sooooooo appreciate!
(I could possibly get 50% rebate from the Ontario government :)

Thx!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'm planning to get a level 2 EVSE, which plugs into a NEMA 6-50 outlet.
That's how my setup is. Rather nice, since it makes the EVSE portable if/when I move.

Love the WeMo Insight idea, but Level 2 will draw up to 30A, so the poor little WeMo can't handle it...
Unless you're charging a Leaf, it won't. The smart can only pull about 14A at 220V due to the 3.3kW charger in the car. WeMo is close to that (some note 13A, some 16A on the 220V models). Pool timers and the like are easily available and any person capable of handling installing a 6-50 plug can install one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts