Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently test drove and reserved a smart (#1608). I want to see if I have this process correct.
1. Complete the online reservation and $99 fee.
2. (After a long wait) I will receive a configuration email and then choose model/options.
3. Receive car at the dealership and pick up work out financing.

I used the search but couldn't find this clearly laid out. Does the dealership really only take delivery at the end of the deal and just deal with the paperwork/finance aspect? Anyways, hello from Saint Louis.:D

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
You're right! Especially about the long wait (you reserved yesterday!)
Poke around, and you will find about "orphans". It may shorten your wait, but also the list of your favorite model/options...
Welcome. :)

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
you pretty much nailed the process. Depending on the dealership (and whether you make the effort to introduce yourself) you may or may not hear from the dealer until close to delivery. Smartusa also has a delivery date estimator at their website which will begin to have estimates near and after the time you configure. In the end, you may be able to get a VIN from your dealer and track your car on the boat from Germany. But technically, the only time you really need to see your dealer is when you pick up your car.

anyway...welcome to you in St Louie!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent, thanks JPaul. I actually did the smart thing (no pun intended) and reserved the smart to replace my vehicle which will hopefully keep on kickin' another 18 months or so to the delivery date.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome! Were a 1608 too, and we're not in a hurry either.
We've decided to start making the payments now, though. But we'll be paying that money into an interest bearing account to go towards the down payment - when that time comes. That way we'll be used to making the payment (we paid off the last car 8 years ago) and we'll have that much less to finance.
At least that's the theory.

Jeff in Atlanta

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are the wait times (approximately) between reservation and configuration and between configuration and delivery? I haven't decided 100% what options that I would like. Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
stlsmartguy,

I think you'll have plenty of time to decide, alas. There are quite a few threads in this forum on that very topic. I dare not hazard a guess at this point, because it could be a whole new ball game by the time our config time arrives.

Jeff in Atlanta

1 - 7 of 7 Posts