Smart Car of America Forum banner

newest interior mirror mod

7K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  donnyonee 
#1 · (Edited)
the problem is being impaled in a accident.
does anyone know Vlad the Impaler personally?
unfortunately i dropped it and now ill be doing the 3rd one.
i was able to drill a hole in my headliner in the wrong spot too.
thats what r&d is.
quality isnt cheap.
with no responsibility whatsoever.

ill post a finished picture tomorrow.
comments?

ok heres a comment, how about a small hole drilled thru the shaft just under the nut when installed to be the breakaway point?
anyone?

sunnythere :)

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
ouch :)

instructions;
to view conditions with small mirror, tape off your exsisting mirror so that you have 1 1/4" opening. thats what you'll see.
to me the stock mirror is to large and blocks too much view, i dont mind the side mirrors with the small convex spots but something out the back would be nicer than nothing and this doesnt hinder frontal viewing.

and if your dentist is using a inspection mirror that big? wow!

#10 · (Edited)
personally i dont care for the looks of the 450 mirror in my 451. althou it is a good idea for some. and most likely wont fit because of my racing g force meter.
heres my next pic. the field of vision does look small, thats my camera lens in the mirror. i have not tried it for viewing/using or vibration yet. i might be driving to pepboys for a 2" convex mirror. does anyone know of a smaller convex?

#11 ·
I wonder if they'll do a redesign on the mirror. I've got an old Corvette that has limited rear visibility and enough people whined about it the design only lasted one year. You never know who is listening, there is a possibility of a mirror swap.

Donny, your mod might not be for all - BUT thanks for sharing as it may be for some. I'm still on the fence as to whether I'd do it, maybe, maybe not. Thanks again for sharing your idea.

#12 ·
ok i tried it.
no vibration, i can see directly behind me. 1 car. imagine this. your driving in traffic and you've got a "very small" video screen your suppossed to watch. right!.

so i bought a 2" convex mirror and it woke up. i can see me, her, behind me and all the front view i need. not good for long distance because of the convex but the side mirrors take care of that. and when i adjust it for the rear window in the lower section i can see most all of the view out the top. and this is all because the original mirror is too big, blocks my view and this is way better than nothing.
yes it works, too cool. im keeping it.

and so you can make 1, the mirror came from grainger for $7, cut and thread it 1/4- 20 . 2 flat washers and 2 nuts. the convex mirror came from pepboys for $2.drill a hole and put it in.

#28 ·
usually when im driving im looking out the left or drivers side of the windshield. i believe for me, thats where id want the visor, maybe others want something different. and yes this convex mirror isnt worth beans for long distance, thats why i use my side mirrors (repeat). i did this in place of none and im pretty happy with it. i can see out the back, limited distance and i can see out the top window too or the sun rays thru the sunscreen at certain sun up times. it certainly isnt for everyone and it does seem like its just for me.? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.