Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've never organized something like this , but here goes. Any smartcar drivers interested in getting together for a trip thru the Newport News Celebration in Lights in Newport News City Park? It opens the Thanksgiving week and runs until after Christmas so there's plenty of time to set a date. We could do dinner and then drive to the lights. There's plenty of restaraunts, I could use some food preferences, (Italian, diner fare, Asian ...) and a good day/time for anyone interested and I'll check with some eateries about reservations. I'll publish the entry fee when I find out.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The more the merrier, I just figure it would be a bit of a trip from DC down here but if you don't mind the drive...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds great. Can we add Toys for Tots or the Salvation Army? We did Toys for Tots last year when we did the Virginia Beach Lights and got some great pictures of the back of a smart filled with toys. I'd be glad to do up some fliers for the VaB smart center.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good, I would have suggested it but I thought VaBch group was doing the same down there and I didn't want to step on any toes.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
If the coordination, time of day and motivation of some of the owners are all there, be it here in Richmond at the Botanical Gardens, this could be an enjoyable event.
Meeting at the River City Diner @ Parham & I-95, and then doing a cruze in would be a local way to show support for these annual Christmas events and having fun doing it.
Just pick one you would enjoy, make a post that you are interested so that others may join in.

Event Details - Events & Exhibits - Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd be interested. weekends are better for me. restaurant type ... hmm... italian is favorite, but any will do.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's an Italian restaurant up in the Denbigh area of Newport News, The garlic knots are to die for.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We may be interested in doing a trip through the lights. Would prefer something other than Italian food but I can live with it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
What's the name of the Italian Restaurant. How about Sunday Dec. 6? Meet at 4 while it's still light so we can see each others' cars, have dinner and then do the lights? And everyone bring a toy to donate.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I work Sundays until 5 PM, couldn't make it until 5:30+. The restaraunt is "Luigi's" and it's at 15400 Warwick Blvd. Anybody setting anything up for the Va Beach boardwalk lights?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My wife & I will be at Luigi's Sunday 6 Dec 5:30ish and then on to the lights at Newport News city park, anybody interested can join. If you want to get there early and admire each other that's fine but that's the earliest we can make it. This is our anneversary weekend (39 years!) and we'll be at Alexandria watching the Alexandria Scottish Walk while doing a Volksmarch. Maybe we'll see someone at Luigi's or Alexandria, Merry Christmas!
(Each other's car)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Luigi's is a great restaurant but I think I will pass on the dinner. I might still like to do the lights. Is there a time and place we could meet up with the diners to go on to the lights?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I forgot that I wanted to point out that Dec. 6th is the Grand Illlumination in Williamsburg, in case that makes a difference on the date you want to do this.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
We could do the Silver Diner on Jefferson since Italian doesn't seem to work, then it'd be a straight shot to Newport News Park. I'll wait until Dec 1 for Yea/nay inputs, I haven't been to S/D for a while so it would work also. I still couldn't get there before 5:30 but we could be finished eating by 6:30 and to the lights by 7 PM traffic permitting.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Is that the only Silver Diner in Newport News? Can we include bringing toys for charity? I'm trying to put together a flier to leave at the dealership. 4:30 meet and 5:30 dinner followed by a caravan to Celebration in Lights.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's the only Silver Diner in Newport News, coming from Va Bch you'd take the I-64 exit 255 (Jefferson Ave) and it's up a couple of lights on the left in a shopping center. To get to the lights you'd make a left on Jefferson Ave and continue up. There's an on ramp up by Newport News Park to get back on I-64 for the trip back under the water.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts