Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ease Up Dork

Notice how these guys all begin to sound alike. I confirmed my Smart 1197 and these articles will not change my mind. I think of my cars like sections of a Swiss Army knife. I use the F-150 for hauling, the Alfa Spyder for summer time conv. fun, '65 Pontiac GTO to get burgers and fires. 99% of the time 2 people occupy my '04 Expedtion, so I've been looking for this type of vehicle for sometime. Yes, the Versa, Fit, Scion....are all out there but I consider those boring. The Mini is nice but uses premium gas. This car is one more tool on my knife. No car can do it all. But when I need to drive faster and flashy I reach for the car for that need. Right now I just want fun on the daily grind called life and work, so don't begrudge me.

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
The rest of the story...

The comments following the article are worth reading, if only for some viewpoints that are different from most of the positive comments on this forum.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Obviously the author is not a member of the target audience. He is welcome to his opinion, wrong though it may be!

Whose opinion counts most?

Mine! :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is the typical USA Today reader the smart audience? Seems to me the USA Today readers are a Toyota Yaris crowd.

Yaris = USA Today & Walmart
smart = NYT & Starbucks

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Kmeinhold,
Those are interesting analogies, indeed. Almost like the one my father used to use....Republican drive Fords and Democrats drive Chevy's....LOL
There really can be some accurate stereotyping if one pays close attention to things...:D

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Good mileage, handy parking don't compensate for rough operation.
Share this story:
Rough operation is an exaggeration, IMHO. It may be a bit rough to a noob but it'll be fine when you get used to it. Anyone with some experience will tell ya. :D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Is the typical USA Today reader the smart audience? Seems to me the USA Today readers are a Toyota Yaris crowd.

smart = NYT & Starbucks
Typical USA Reader is the business travel with his company rental or the big city dweller who rides the subway.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Man, I don't know...It looks like it'd get crushed like a bug if hit by a big SUV...

:D

I'd like to see it head on with a smart...

·
Registered
52 Posts
smart = NYT & Starbucks
???
This is a stunning, snide, almost nasty insult, thank you very much. Why the "hate"? Sounds like someone who considers himself "tolerant". But it seems to me those who preach "tolerance" are the most intolerant people I meet. The NYT is just an awful newspaper that is completely disingenuous in both its news and editorial content - I say this as a Baghdad based soldier who has seen events first hand on the ground and read stories that were completely different in that newspaper. And let's be real here - Starbucks serves overhyped and crappy coffee. And why the "hate" on Walmart? Walmart saves me enough $$$ every year to take my kids on 3 or 4 weekend camping trips. In honor of this post, in January I will make my first Smart Car trip to Walmart to pick up a copy of the USA Today and to buy a cup of Walmart brand coffee. Cheers.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Rough operation is an exaggeration, IMHO. It may be a bit rough to a noob but it'll be fine when you get used to it. Anyone with some experience will tell ya. :D
Smart Bob is 100% correct on this.
Anyone who drives a Smart (either a 450 or 451) for any length of time and still finds it "Rough" isn't a 'Newbee', he/she is just a 'Boob' and IMHO doesn't deserve to own one.

Having more experience driving a Smart (city & highway) than most people posting on this forum, I am qualified to speak.

I challange anyone in the L.A. area to call me on this.
You come to Sunland/Tujunga and I'll prove it to you.

If your decision to not buy this car is based on the shifting, I say:
Ignorance is bliss and........ BLISS IS EXPENSIVE You lose !

Posting this inspires me to make a suggestion:

Members with appreciable "Smart" driving experience would be doing everyone else a favor by speaking up an sharing their shifting learning curve.

I considered it a challange.

I'm putting my car where my mouth is.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The comments are just WEIRD! It's like somebody took a laptop to a klan meeting and told them the smart was made by Jews or something.

Made me glad I live in a well fortified underground bunker.

pffft.

·
Registered
309 Posts

smart = NYT & Starbucks
i dont know. i would not be caught dead in a wasteful, overpriced, etc. place like sugar sweet diabetic killer starbucks.

the nyt? near pure twisted gossip. waste of time. the net is far better, and more timely, than the times could ever be in its dreams.

walmart is the greatist thing that ever came to america, or one of the greatest. the prices arent always the best, (better deals at aldi's on some items, etc. ) but they are nearly always good prices, and reliably so.

anyone that doesn't know this by now, really has their head deep in the sand, or worse.

smart, is basically, an all new, fun, different vehicle. sort of a new fangled motorcycle with training wheels. or a fun big luxury go-cart. life doesn't have to be boring all the time.

and it happens to be not too expensive, and has plenty of room for tall big people, a rarity today where most all sports cars today are tight glove fitted tubes made for little people.

and smart is the all-gas mpg usa 2008 champ. people like to own, be around, and smoozel with champs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry - I was not trying to bash Walmart, USA Today, NYT or Starbucks. I'm sure some smart owners read USAT and shop at Walmart. A sweeping generalization may not have been appropiate, especially since there are no owners (except for gray market) at present.

I firmly believe that the smart and Yaris GENERALLY cater to a different demographic. Both are fine cars, with similar attributes including economy, and frankly I think the Yaris offers more "Value" than the smart, just like Walmart and USAT, among other things. But I think smart buyers put value farther down on their list, and are willing to pay a premium for items like style, the environment, content quality, etc.

For the record I mostly read the WSJ and make my coffee at the office, I served in Desert Shield, Storm and other military campaigns.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Video online

Man, I don't know...It looks like it'd get crushed like a bug if hit by a big SUV...

:D

I'd like to see it head on with a smart...
Gortok,
There is a video I've seen a number of times showing a Smart driven into a high concrete highway divider head on at 70 mph. It got all smashed to hell, but the tridium faired pretty well and both doors would still open ...the passenger door opened normally and would still close.
I was impressed by that video.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts