Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Fuel

Notwithstanding what the toothy demonstration and sales people have been putting out ("You don't really have to use premium gas."), the spec recommends "min 91 octane."

My Subaru H-6 has the same recommendation, and even with the 91, it doesn't run as well nor get as good mileage as on 93.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Notwithstanding what the toothy demonstration and sales people have been putting out ("You don't really have to use premium gas."), the spec recommends "min 91 octane."
The key word being "recommended" as opposed to "required". The MPG testing was done with premium so they have to put that recommendation into their specs and fuel tank sticker. Once we get some on the road we will know the real story.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Yup, I know. But the fact is that I get the same miles per dollar by either using straight 93 or concoced 91 (50-50 89 & 93), but with the 93 I get a better running car to boot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That sadly is my experience also....you pay more per gallon for the good stuff, but it doesn't cost you any extra to use. In fact, I think it is about 15-20% better gas mileage on 91 versus 89 or ethanol mix. It is only 10% more expensive, so it is pretty easy math which is cheaper per mile.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts