Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
This is whats needed, before another 2 door here.

Joining the ForTwo in Smart's new lineup in 2015 will be the all-new second-generation ForFour, a car Winkler says has not yet been approved for sale in North America.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I find the HP ratings a bit disappointing. I mean, shouldn't a DI engine with 4 valves per cylinder make more than 70 HP? Hell, my 6 valve (total) diesel makes close to that. I am guessing that North America will get the lamest gas engine of the bunch. Certifying one drivetrain for a market that might in a good year generate 20,000 sales is probably all they'll be willing to do.

So do I, and it makes me suspicious of the credibility of the article. Those are current gen power numbers. All the stuff we have seen up to this point has indicated that the new Renault/MB engine will be more powerful and more efficient than the current Mitsu. I'm thinking somebody has their facts messed up...:rolleyes:

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I find the HP ratings a bit disappointing. I mean, shouldn't a DI engine with 4 valves per cylinder make more than 70 HP? Hell, my 6 valve (total) diesel makes close to that. I am guessing that North America will get the lamest gas engine of the bunch. Certifying one drivetrain for a market that might in a good year generate 20,000 sales is probably all they'll be willing to do.
Could they be sacrificing HP for more low end torque and better fuel economy numbers? I know the refreshed Kia 1.6 and 2.0 engines in the new Soul lost some HP even though they are both now DI designs and it was stated that the engine tuning was altered to favor low end torque and better MPGs at the expense of peak HP.

Maybe it will drive better than the HP numbers suggest, if these numbers are indeed correct?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts