Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
FWIW, there was NO mention of the upcoming 453 in the smart booth at the NY Autoshow this weekend. They only had 3 cars....all 451's with facelifts....

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
FWIW, there was NO mention of the upcoming 453 in the smart booth at the NY Autoshow this weekend. They only had 3 cars....all 451's with facelifts....
Really...? We didn't get the ForStars last year and we didn't get the FourJoy this year?

Ugh... No 4-door for us. It's pretty apparent now.

Steve Jobs said something along the lines of:
How to people know what they want when they haven't even seen it yet?

·
17,343 Posts
Really...? We didn't get the ForStars last year and we didn't get the FourJoy this year?

Ugh... No 4-door for us. It's pretty apparent now.

Steve Jobs said something along the lines of:
Chicago never gets the concepts either. It's usually just an EV, some limited edition car (or a Tailor Made), an Expressions art car, and regular passion/pure.

Shame, they put all their effort towards Detroit and half-*** everywhere else. Grrrreeeaaat for brand presence...

4-lug wheels?

OH, PLEASE say it isn't so?
I see no negatives with four lugs. You get a better wheel aftermarket (much easier to obtain a spare too) and it's better for safety.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm thinking sarcasm on the four lugs. All though I hope it's 4x100 and not something goofy.
Sad they didn't put the motor where it belongs up front.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Shame, they put all their effort towards Detroit and half-*** everywhere else. Grrrreeeaaat for brand presence...
With such a robust dealer network you expected better?

As they continue to transition from PAG, The Captain (smartest man in the room) must have quite a pain in his side from the uncontrollable laughter . . . :rofl2:

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'm thinking sarcasm on the four lugs. All though I hope it's 4x100 and not something goofy.
Sad they didn't put the motor where it belongs up front.
HELL no! The engine belongs in the back and the correct set of drive wheels are the rears!

The original engineering choice to put the engine in the rear on the original 450 smart is just as valid today as it was back then. It frees up the front end to be fully utilized as a crash structure. It allows the steering rack to be put in a more favorable position ahead of the front wheel axis.

Regarding the 4-bolt wheels, if they pick a common bolt pattern and offset and central pilot diameter, it should greatly improve the choices of wheel and tire sizes. And there is more redundancy - the consequences of one wheel bolt coming loose aren't catastrophic.

Had the smart been front wheel drive, it would become just another front-drive econobox, and it would need power steering, and it would drive just like any other front-drive econobox ... which means the people who buy a smart because it is NOT just another front-drive econobox, go somewhere else. See Toyota iQ (fail).

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HELL no! The engine belongs in the back and the correct set of drive wheels are the rears!

The original engineering choice to put the engine in the rear on the original 450 smart is just as valid today as it was back then. It frees up the front end to be fully utilized as a crash structure. It allows the steering rack to be put in a more favorable position ahead of the front wheel axis.

Regarding the 4-bolt wheels, if they pick a common bolt pattern and offset and central pilot diameter, it should greatly improve the choices of wheel and tire sizes. And there is more redundancy - the consequences of one wheel bolt coming loose aren't catastrophic.

Had the smart been front wheel drive, it would become just another front-drive econobox, and it would need power steering, and it would drive just like any other front-drive econobox ... which means the people who buy a smart because it is NOT just another front-drive econobox, go somewhere else. See Toyota iQ (fail).

Folks do go else where, Might want to drive a front wheel drive Abarth.

smart does offer power steering, don't know why?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sure, people go elsewhere to get front wheel drive. But if you make a front wheel drive car, you are in direct competition with the bazillion other front wheel drive cars out there. Some people might go to the competition to get front wheel drive ... but when ALL the competition has front wheel drive, there's an argument to be made for going rear wheel drive to get the people who DON'T want front wheel drive (and that includes me!).

Yes, smart offers power steering (and mine has it) but it's not needed (and it doesn't really assist very much). To my knowledge, this is the only car in today's marketplace that does not have power steering standard equipment across the board on all models. Doesn't need it!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I disagree, there's a reason why there's only two manufactures that still do rear engine cars. There's been all kinds of rear engine cars air/water cooled and most have been pretty unsuccessful in the end. Ask the Renault engineers that did most of the eniginering where they would have put the motor. I like my smart car don't get me wrong but maintance is a pain and the added complexity and engineering to make it safe add to the price.
Ya the Smart doesn't need power steering but really nothing under 2200ish pounds does.
There's nothing wrong with the iQ that removing the CVT and putting a proper 5-6spd wouldn't fix.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts