Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the breakdown looks like for the NHSTA safety results? I've heard the Smart has a four star rating, but how does that break down for front driver & passenger, side front and rollover?

I'm putting together a spread sheet to compare the Smart to other vehicles that I might consider. Really, I'm just trying to justify the Smart to myself to make sure I'm making, at least, a reasonable decision in buying a Smart.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
NHSTA has not yet crashed a smart in their tests. The four star you heard is from the European crash tests. And yes, the smart is a reasonably safe car to drive (and fun, too)!

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
There's 50 percent less car to hit, which makes it twice as safe in accident avoidance. OK, maybe not twice, but gotta factor that into the equation. Or, if all else fails, adopt a philosophy of destiny, karma, etc., and just relax and have fun with your new smart. Oh, and wear extra padding and a mouth-guard. And don't carry pencils in your pocket while driving.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Well said...Steve....

There's 50 percent less car to hit, which makes it twice as safe in accident avoidance. OK, maybe not twice, but gotta factor that into the equation. Or, if all else fails, adopt a philosophy of destiny, karma, etc., and just relax and have fun with your new smart. Oh, and wear extra padding and a mouth-guard. And don't carry pencils in your pocket while driving.
No guarantees in life for sure.....in any way shape or form.....:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand that the NHSTA doesn't actually do testing, the manufacturers test their own vehicles. But, I thought I saw a thread in this forum referencing the rear seat star rating. I'm assuming the information must be available somewhere, I just can't find it. If anyone's got the data I'd like to add it to my spread sheet. Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry. I wasn't clear in my last post. I remember seeing a post where someone was commenting on how crazy the safety rating for rear seats was because the Smart doesn't have rear seats. If someone has see those details I'd like to see them posted. Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
:rofl:What no helmet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts