Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2009 Brabus about a month ago and the suspension had been modified by the addition of lowering springs and 17 inch wheels.

The car looked nice with the new wheels and handled well on the highway BUT every bump in the road was telegraphed into the seat of my pants. After a few days I was ready to trade the car.

Instead I reinstalled the OEM springs and traded the wheels for a set of 15 inch 12 spoke wheels off of a 2013 and I am finally enjoying the car.

My advice to anyone considering a mod to their suspension is to be sure that they are ready for the harsh ride.

Yes, I know the stock Brabus has 17 inch wheels in the rear. The 15 inch wheels all around look just fine and provide the kind of ride I was expecting when I bought the car.

·
Registered
465 Posts
To me this is what car modding is about. Making the car better suited to what you want or need. Not about impressing folks you don't even know.
Glad you got it where you wanted it.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I bought my 2009 Brabus about a month ago and the suspension had been modified by the addition of lowering springs and 17 inch wheels.

The car looked nice with the new wheels and handled well on the highway BUT every bump in the road was telegraphed into the seat of my pants. After a few days I was ready to trade the car.

Instead I reinstalled the OEM springs and traded the wheels for a set of 15 inch 12 spoke wheels off of a 2013 and I am finally enjoying the car.

My advice to anyone considering a mod to their suspension is to be sure that they are ready for the harsh ride.

Yes, I know the stock Brabus has 17 inch wheels in the rear. The 15 inch wheels all around look just fine and provide the kind of ride I was expecting when I bought the car.
If you think that's day and night, WHEN you need new tires, go for some 185/60/15's

Talk about Day and Night :p

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
The next thing to think about is to put the wider wheels and tires that are on your rear wheels on the front as well. Having all four the same size allow for rotation and gives you a more stable ride on the highway on windy days and when passing semis. That will be night and day better on a trip.
The only person you have to impress with your smart is the person who drives it every day. It sure feels good when you like the way your car runs, rides, and looks. I personally think the 15s look great on the smart.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My 13 is lowered, and riding on wider performance 15" tires, with 20mm spacers on the rear wheels, and it is a huge improvement over stock. The 17s seem to be a bigger problem than anything else. I opted for 15s because I just think our tiny brakes look silly under clown shoes.

It's still a trade off. It's a little rougher, but it handles much better. No more rocking horse, and I can hold turns at much higher speed. I like it, but it's not for everyone.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts