Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By John Voelcker June 28, 2014 9:44 AM

Three and a half years after the first Nissan Leaf went on sale, Nissan has announced the cost of a replacement lithium-ion battery pack for its electric car.

It's a surprisingly low $5,499 (after a $1,000 credit for turning in the old pack, which is required), plus installation fees and tax. The installation is estimated at roughly 3 hours of labor.

Fitting the replacement pack to 2011 and 2012 Nissan Leaf models requires a special $225 installation kit, which makes the new battery "backward compatible" with even the earliest Leaf models.

:)

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/nissan-leaf-battery-cost-5-500-replacement-heat-134437499.html

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Our newly acquired Suby Crosstrek hybrid has a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on the battery. Granted it doesn't does the same amount of work as a pure EV car. The cost of replacement is roughly $2500 and is about the size of the spare tire that would normally come with a Crosstrek.

·
Registered
624 Posts

A few additional Q & A from the LEAF forum listed below, as we bought our 2012 LEAF outright, this is indeed good news, prefer just about any kind of outright purchase of a replacement battery versus a 'battery rental' program like is currently offered on the smart ED, perhaps MBZ may offer more options in light of this change. We've passed the 2 1/2 year mark with next to nothing as far as the dreaded hot weather battery degradation (lower range, etc.) problems as we're in a relatively cooler climate than TX, NM or AZ; can't predict the future but if after close to 10 years use and the car 'shell' is still in good shape we could opt for this and basically have a CPO (as far as the powertrain) and be good for another 10 easily --- now if we could just stop with all the salt so it doesn't rust out ... one can still dream I suppose:

My Nissan Leaf Forum ? View topic - Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Q. Will I own this battery outright?
A. Yes, unless you choose to finance the battery, in which case the finance company will have an interest in the battery until it is paid for in full.

Q. What happens to my old battery? Can I keep it?
A. No. The old battery must be exchanged for the new battery as a condition of the sale of the replacement battery, and Nissan’s suggested retail battery pricing reflects a $1,000 core value assigned to the battery. Nissan will ensure that the old battery is recycled and disposed of properly or possibly reused as part of our 4R Energy business.

Q. For resale, how can I prove that my car has a new battery?
A: Your certified Nissan LEAF dealer will provide you with a copy of the repair order showing your lithium-ion battery replacement at the time the replacement is made. If for any reason you do not receive it, ask your dealer for a copy. Additionally, any authorized Nissan dealer can confirm the battery replacement by reviewing the vehicle’s service history by authorized Nissan dealers which is maintained by VIN.

Q. Is the replacement battery compatible with all Nissan LEAF models?
A. All 2011 through 2015 LEAF models are currently compatible with the replacements being offered in this purchase program. However, a separate installation kit must be purchased at the customer's expense for all 2011 and 2012 vehicles.

Q. Who qualifies for a replacement?
A. To be eligible to purchase a replacement battery, you must be a current LEAF owner, and you must agree to exchange your existing battery pack for the replacement battery. You must also read, acknowledge and sign a customer disclosure form and trade-in agreement. In order to allow for battery trade-in, and as a further condition of sale, customer must represent by signing the disclosure form that either (1) their LEAF vehicle and old lithium-ion battery are owned by customer free and clear of any liens and encumbrances; or (2) that any lender with a lien on the vehicle and/or original battery consents to the battery exchange. Customer must agree to assist Nissan in obtaining a signed consent from the lienholder.

Q. What are the terms of Nissan's financing?
A: We plan to release the exact terms of the financing by the end of the year.

Q. Will you offer higher capacity batteries to upgrade my LEAF in the future?
A: Currently, we can only discuss the 24kWh LEAF pack. We are not making any announcements concerning larger potential battery pack sizes for future products at this time.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Our newly acquired Suby Crosstrek hybrid has a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on the battery. Granted it doesn't does the same amount of work as a pure EV car. The cost of replacement is roughly $2500 and is about the size of the spare tire that would normally come with a Crosstrek.
Here is another factoid for comparison, granted it's 3X the range of the typical LEAF but a replacement battery for a Tesla S comes in at around $15,600 (although some have quoted as high as $40K) ... the speculation on battery replacement costs has begun now that Nissan has made their announcement ... as this will always be the heart of EV ownership as least you'll know what to expect once it's time to replace the battery

Can Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) do Better than $5,500?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Not a whole lot worse than a good engine swap! When battery packs get down to this price for all cars, I'll be a buyer of an electric vehicle. (Namely a Smart or the upcoming "inexpensive" Tesla.)

No way I'm buying something like a Chevy Volt where the car is disposable because the battery costs so much.

That's actually good news. I heard faint sighs of relief from Leaf owners everywhere when a 4-digit price was announced!

·
Registered
527 Posts
No way I'm buying something like a Chevy Volt where the car is disposable because the battery costs so much.
Then lease. :shrug:

I bought my Smart ED for $19,300 and put on 10000 km per year.

I used to spend $1500 in gas to drive that distance.
Meanwhile, it costs $250 in electricity in the Smart ED.

At $1200 per year in just fuel savings, plus the $300 in lower insurance costs, I making out like a bandit. :D

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Then lease. :shrug:

I bought my Smart ED for $19,300 and put on 10000 km per year.

I used to spend $1500 in gas to drive that distance.
Meanwhile, it costs $250 in electricity in the Smart ED.

At $1200 per year in just fuel savings, plus the $300 in lower insurance costs, I making out like a bandit. :D
No, that I understand. What I mean to imply is that there are logical electric cars, and then there are electric cars that exist only because the companies have to make them.

:wink:

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rest of the storey...

Nissan loses money on the Leaf battery at $5,500:

In light of the Leaf battery replacement price of $5,500, we asked the company to comment on its costs for producing electric-car batteries--which, predictably, it wouldn't do.

"As you can imagine," wrote Jeff Kuhlman, Nissan's vice president of global communications, "we don’t share those figures for competitive reasons."

But regarding the replacement price, Kuhlman was quite clear:

"Nissan makes zero margin on the replacement program," he wrote. "In fact, we subvent every exchange."

To "subvent" means to subsidize.

In other words, selling a replacement Leaf battery for $5,500 requires Nissan to subsidize that price--the actual cost to the company is higher.
:)

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/nissan-leaf-5-500-battery-replacement-loses-money-122625212.html

·
Registered
71 Posts
best of luck SmartElectric with your Smart ED. Placed order for 2015 ED last month, will take till December to get car. Mine will be lease w/rental for battery, after 3 yrs have option to buy...

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
The only way there would be a EV in my garage, it's called lease. Wonder how much it would cost to replace a Tesla battery system. Lots of them running around town here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you get battery assurance plus you are spending about $5,000 more than outright purchase but, they will cover the battery. I have the BAP and treat it as a prepaid replacement for $5k rather than the $20K+ quoted by the dealer. Don't have to worry for 10 years. At that point something bigger and better should be available.

·
Registered
71 Posts
wonder if Crosstrek can run in EV only mode ? Tested Prius C recent model and it limits EV mode to 10 mph... not very useful for commute like my 2015 SmartCar ED. Capacity is ED is 17.6kwhr similar to 2015 Volt which gets only 35 miles on el. power. Smart ED warranty on battery is 10 yr no milage.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Suby can run up to 15mph or so on EV but not for very long. It's handy in stop/go traffic.
The battery is only 13kwh (if believe) and depletes rather quickly and recharges very fast after that. I think subys idea of the Hybrid was to give the 2 liter engine a bit more ball$ . The gasser Crosstrek has 148 hp while the combined on the Hybrid is 170hp with a considerable gain in torque with the EV motor. In short, acceleration is quite hefty with the Hybrid..

·
Registered
71 Posts
best of luck SmartElectric with your Smart ED. Placed order for 2015 ED last month, will take till December to get car. Mine will be lease w/rental for battery, after 3 yrs have option to buy...
new 2015 Smart ED arrived early... my 2nd week of use impressive 107 MPGe
range is about 68 miles and on mild day / 75 deg. F shows 78 miles... :)
If you use heater predicted range drops by about 8 miles...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts