Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
all they would need is a dealer. Maybe that's not their marketing plan. I think they are having issues in TX as well. It will be interesting to see how it works out. Personally, I'm not a Tesla fan, but I don't have trouble with someone wanting to sell cars, or whatever directly to the consumer. If the consumer is willing to take that risk, then so be it! OF course I think we should be able to import Kei cars from Japan and quadracycles from Europe!

·
17,349 Posts
Anyone remember Preston Tucker (that's who my car is named after)? He introduced the world to a revolutionary car that was far ahead of anything else at the time. His car gathered so much public interest he had a dealer network and a waiting list long before a car was even produced.

That's when all of a sudden accusations started dropping about how he conducted business and how he was brought down to pretty much nothing when it was all over.

Many say it was the big three that tried to bring him down (with compelling evidence too)...

I think that's what happening here too, only that instead of the big three, you have whiny dealerships pissed off at how Elon moves his inventory (which honestly, is how all new cars should be sold).

If I can buy an iPhone direct from the manufacturer, why can't I buy my car the same way?

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Anyone remember Preston Tucker (that's who my car is named after)? He introduced the world to a revolutionary car that was far ahead of anything else at the time. His car gathered so much public interest he had a dealer network and a waiting list long before a car was even produced.

That's when all of a sudden accusations started dropping about how he conducted business and how he was brought down to pretty much nothing when it was all over.

Many say it was the big three that tried to bring him down (with compelling evidence too)...

I think that's what happening here too, only that instead of the big three, you have whiny dealerships pissed off at how Elon moves his inventory (which honestly, is how all new cars should be sold).

If I can buy an iPhone direct from the manufacturer, why can't I buy my car the same way?
It will more likely implode due to it's business model and long-term maintenance costs associated with virtually every EV ever built.

·
17,349 Posts
Not sure about that just yet. So far Elon is proving to be quite the madman. He's paid back his loans years ahead of time and is now making profit from cars alone, and not EV credits.

Can't say anything about the reliability of his cars, but I do have to say the guy is definitely changing the status quo of the auto industry. He's taking on everything from side mirror requirements (he wants the Model X to have the concept's signature side view cameras) to obviously direct sales.

In terms of business models and innovation, Elon's definitely taken notes from Apple of 15 years ago.

Maybe some time in the future, but for now I don't see Tesla going anywhere but up.

Not sure I'd invest in Tesla though. Shareholders seem too dissatisfied. Shares plummet by a wide margin every time a Tesla is reported crashed in the news.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Not sure about that just yet. So far Elon is proving to be quite the madman. He's paid back his loans years ahead of time and is now making profit from cars alone, and not EV credits.

Can't say anything about the reliability of his cars, but I do have to say the guy is definitely changing the status quo of the auto industry. He's taking on everything from side mirror requirements (he wants the Model X to have the concept's signature side view cameras) to obviously direct sales.

In terms of business models and innovation, Elon's definitely taken notes from Apple of 15 years ago.

Maybe some time in the future, but for now I don't see Tesla going anywhere but up.

Not sure I'd invest in Tesla though. Shareholders seem too dissatisfied. Shares plummet by a wide margin every time a Tesla is reported crashed in the news.
Generally that is referred to a bubble! There is no way Tesla is worth 1/2 of GM!! Pure unadulterated bubble!>:D

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

And here you have the core of the problem. You have a bunch of greedy, whiney dealer owners who want their piece of the cake. Elon is depriving them of that. The dealer owner associations are such a huge SIG in every state, that they are trying to ram through legislation to stop those preventing them from getting their piece.

I'm not a fan of Tesla either, but I applaude him for sticking to his guns, and depriving those rich [email protected] that own the stealerships from getting theirs. Not that Elon isn't rich(beyond imagination), but I'm no fan of stealerships either...:wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Test drove the Tesla S and loved it - but that is another story.

The key issue going on here - states banning sales of Tesla without dealerships - is just that, this is a lobbying battle by the car dealers to force their sales model, rather than the new model that Tesla is following. Car dealers have a very powerful lobby and a high representation in state government (lots of local senators, etc are dealers).

A neighbor is a Nissan dealer here in PA and I mentioned this to him and he gave me a whole long speech about how this is consumer protection and knowledge and service and all that crap. He had no answers when I discussed the Tesla service practices - bring loaner, pickup our car, facilities, etc - and the knowledge of the sales people in the Tesla store at the mall.

This is an industry (dealerships) that is very entrenched (think about the local owners of dealerships in your town or the mega-dealers like Penske, AutoNation...), very insular (how many dealerships are multi-generations old), and suddenly confronted with a survival issue.

-Barry-

·
17,349 Posts
There's a lot of things I'd rather own half of that's not GM. :D

Come on GM, you can do better than this. Who are you fooling slapping a bowtie on a Nissan?

Don't get me wrong, the company makes some ultra desirable and cool vehicles. If I had the money, I would go and buy a Corvette C7, a C6 ZR1, and a Chevy SS faster than you can say "dynamite". But their last decade of slapping GM badges anything with cheap wheels was truly depressing. Then they killed Saturn, which actually had a lot of untapped potential. IMO, they should've killed Buick and kept Saturn and Oldsmobile around.

Oh, and this. If I ran one of the largest automakers in the universe I would be ashamed to see my badge on such a horrid automobile.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I'm not saying, of course, that GM is all that and a bag of chips, but rather they are a large company with a LOT of capital that sells a LOT of cars. The P/E ratio for GM is 10.72 for 2013 and est for 2014 is 8.95; the P/E ratio in 2013 was nearly 1400! the 'estimate for 2014 is 181! Anyone who thinks Tesla is a buy at $230+ is completely delusional. (ref NASDAQ). Sell! If you bought in at $25-50 bucks it's time to take them profits! GM could go down a bit, but Tesla has got a LONG way to fall!

·
Registered
521 Posts

How can you not be a Tesla fan? The Model S is the actual greatest car ever made. There's never been a car like this. It's road presence is unlike any car and its the most technologically advanced car ever.

How could you not possibly be a fan of this car? Thats really mind boggling. And Elon is also the most important human being alive right now, changing and advancing the world.

Tesla, Edison, Jobs... that is who Elon is like but he's alive... right now!

Very strange that somehow people dont like this car or the company. I cant even think of any possible reason why someone wouldn't like it. Makes absolutely no sense.

Do you also hate Ferraris and Lamborghini's too? lol just dont get it at all.

And NJ banning sales shows that that chunky senator and all who are apart of that mess did this to stifle innovation because their scared of disruption and change and are all apart of the same corporate string. It's truly their loss. And eventually the people will speak up. So it only makes them look moronic.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
It's not that Tesla hasn't been innovative, or that the S isn't a cute car for $70K. That's not the point. The point is the stock is WAY WAY WAY over-valued. If I can go buy an EV for what an ICE costs, and it gives me 300-350 miles of range and I can recharge it in 5 minutes, then I'll start to get interested. Until then it's just a lot of bluster about stuff that has no impact on me. Furthermore no vehicle has worse resale value than an EV! Why? Because they are a nightmare ($) to put right when stuff goes wrong (always have been)!

Try to lock at this as something other than a fan-boy. I'm an engineer and I appreciate innovation, but experience has taught me to be a bit skeptical as well. As I said, I think Tesla should be able to sell where they want and let the chips fall where they may. Also remember Nikola Tesla, though a genius, died penniless! No one knows where this is going, but for sure buying a compay with a P/E ratio that high is pure speculation!

·
17,349 Posts
I'm not saying, of course, that GM is all that and a bag of chips, but rather they are a large company with a LOT of capital that sells a LOT of cars. The P/E ratio for GM is 10.72 for 2013 and est for 2014 is 8.95; the P/E ratio in 2013 was nearly 1400! the 'estimate for 2014 is 181! Anyone who thinks Tesla is a buy at $230+ is completely delusional. (ref NASDAQ). Sell! If you bought in at $25-50 bucks it's time to take them profits! GM could go down a bit, but Tesla has got a LONG way to fall!
Good point. Although I can't say when that day will happen, or if it will happen.

Whatever yet announced marriage Tesla and Apple have together is definitely going to do good for both companies. Tesla stock is unstable, it fluctuates whenever the company's name ends up in the news. And Elon knows that. It's the reason why he made a big deal out of making huge profit without selling a single EV credit.

What better way to get better recognition, awareness, and possibly even profit than to partner up with the world's most valuable company? :)

I don't see Tesla losing any traction anytime soon, Elon is a smart businessman and he knows what the market wants. And seemingly no amount of trailer hitches in the road is stopping this train.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
The Model S is the actual greatest car ever made.
Greatest Car Ever Made, yet another opinion.

Tesla Model S is an innovative example of where a brilliant man has taken the EV platform.

As for being perhaps an overpriced stock - Morningstar shows it trading at 43.9 times book value and 14.1 times sales. This compared to the industry average of 1.5 times book value and 0.6 times sales.

Earning per share remain muddy especially when you back out the current gift of ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicle) credits, ‘other’ regulatory credits?

As KR suggests, if you bought in at $35, may be a good time to take some money off the table and play with the house money?

·
Registered
832 Posts
How could you not possibly be a fan of this car? Thats really mind boggling.
My favorite color is yellow. How could you possibly not like yellow? It's incomprehensible how anyone could not like yellow. Everybody in their right minds loves yellow! Yellow is the greatest color ever made! If you don't like yellow, something must be wrong with you! Yellow rules!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts