Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I purchased a 11' Smart fortwo pure back in november 2013 with an extended MB warranty and 2 days ago while parking my ride it refused to go into reverse, then it refused to go into drive and finally the MIL came on!
Luckily the next day was my day off so in the morning I took it to the nearest smart dealer and long story short they want to charge me 700+ dollars to diagnose the issue. Now I am told that if the warranty covers whats wrong with it the diagnostic fee wont be charged to me, I would only pay a deductable of 100 dollars. I do have a feeling ill be unlucky enough to have a clutch wear on me at 23k miles and not have it under warranty because it is a "wear and tear" item but I've never had or seen a clutch wear at 23k.

As much as I love my car, I think ill have to become a former smart owner if it's not going to last atleast 100k without major damage to my wallet.

Now my question is, what are other common issues with these vehicles?

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA! I think if the brake switch fails you can't even move the car. Did you try to reteach the transmission per the owners manual? :)

PS - our 2011 just experienced it's first major failure.... one burned out light bulb. Oh, the horror! :laugh:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:welcome: to SCoA! I think if the brake switch fails you can't even move the car. Did you try to reteach the transmission per the owners manual? :)

PS - our 2011 just experienced it's first major failure.... one burned out light bulb. Oh, the horror! :laugh:
Thank you! :D

They tried a software update, it's still not fuctioning properly

I forgot to mention the morning after it malfuctioned I was able to drive it to the dealer.

·
17,345 Posts
Welcome! To answer your question, here's a list of general issues. Most of these aren't common. The ones with a single asterisk was a common issue a long time ago, and a double asterisk is a current common issue:

- *Clutch Plate/Actuator - It was somewhat common-ish (debatable) in the 2008s and 2009s. The design was improved and there have been very very few issues since.

- *Crazing Roof - This issue peaked with the 2010 model year. Seemingly very few (if any???) 2011 and on model year owners have this issue. I don't, and my car (2012) is nearing 50,000 miles and still clear. The issue was reportedly completely resolved in March 2012 with the release of the 2013 model year.

- Rubbing Coolant Hose - Some 2008 and 2009 owners have reported the coolant hose to be rubbing on a frame rail. It's an easy fix and apparently, hasn't been reported in newer cars.

- Burned Valves - So far only being reported in very low numbers in 2008 and 2009 cars (there could be a 2010 or two, I could be wrong), some engines have been "lost" to burned valves. The cause is still unknown.

- Cooked Engines - So far, every case of this has been operator error of some form. I'm only noting it though, because the car doesn't have a temperature gauge and the car may not warn you at all that the engine is overheating.

- *Random Transmission Errors - Not going into certain gears, noises, limp home mode, and not moving at all could fall into this category. It coincide with the clutch plate/actuator issues, but also includes things like programming, and the shifter module.

At this current time, I don't think there's a such thing as a "common" smart problem, just a few things in the past that appear to have been mended by rolling design changes. :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Hello!

I purchased a 11' Smart fortwo pure back in november 2013 with an extended MB warranty and 2 days ago while parking my ride it refused to go into reverse, then it refused to go into drive and finally the MIL came on!
Luckily the next day was my day off so in the morning I took it to the nearest smart dealer and long story short they want to charge me 700+ dollars to diagnose the issue. Now I am told that if the warranty covers whats wrong with it the diagnostic fee wont be charged to me, I would only pay a deductable of 100 dollars. I do have a feeling ill be unlucky enough to have a clutch wear on me at 23k miles and not have it under warranty because it is a "wear and tear" item but I've never had or seen a clutch wear at 23k.

As much as I love my car, I think ill have to become a former smart owner if it's not going to last atleast 100k without major damage to my wallet.

When you state the car would not go into gear, did the gear selected show up on the dash without the car moving or did you get three dashes in the gear indicator on the dash when the shifter was moved to the desired gear?

The estimate of $700 for diagnosis sounds like they want to remove the transmission to inspect the clutch. I would want more info before I authorized that, such as what led to that conclusion. There are only a limited number of reasons the car will not go into gear: 1. It can not operate the clutch properly due to a failed clutch actuator. 2. It can not determine what gear is requested or what gear is selected due to a failed shifter or shifter motor on the trans. 3. There is a physical problem with the clutch assembly itself preventing it from operating properly.

Any of these failures should set a fault code. It sounds like they think it is number 3.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome! To answer your question, here's a list of general issues. Most of these aren't common. The ones with a single asterisk was a common issue a long time ago, and a double asterisk is a current common issue:

-

- Burned Valves - So far only being reported in very low numbers in 2008 and 2009 cars (there could be a 2010 or two, I could be wrong), some engines have been "lost" to burned valves. The cause is still unknown.[/B]
FWIW, we had a 2010 with a burned valve /sigh.. None of the rest of the stuff tho! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you state the car would not go into gear, did the gear selected show up on the dash without the car moving or did you get three dashes in the gear indicator on the dash when the shifter was moved to the desired gear?

The estimate of $700 for diagnosis sounds like they want to remove the transmission to inspect the clutch. I would want more info before I authorized that, such as what led to that conclusion. There are only a limited number of reasons the car will not go into gear: 1. It can not operate the clutch properly due to a failed clutch actuator. 2. It can not determine what gear is requested or what gear is selected due to a failed shifter or shifter motor on the trans. 3. There is a physical problem with the clutch assembly itself preventing it from operating properly.

Any of these failures should set a fault code. It sounds like they think it is number 3.
On the dash it showed "N", They do want to remove the transmission, the tech thinks its reason 1 or 3, but we will see! I have not heard anything from them today.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
First off, MB does not have a an extended Warranty. What they sell is a 3rd party service contract. Some owners have had good luck with these contracts, others have been refused pay offs.

Trans no-go is a Common problem with Smart, we had it happen to our 08 twice. Once was in conjunction with a brake light switch. Fix was a run though the trans re-teach as outlined in the owners manual.

If you let MB take it apart you may be stuck with a huge bill. Which MB dealer are you dealing with ? A2Jack

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

The Price Of Human Life, According To GM*|*Michael Moore

Smart never issues a proper, voluntary recall to fix these problems, probably for the same reason GM didn't/doesn't. They've never recalled them that I know of, ever.

·
17,345 Posts
Welcome! To answer your question, here's a list of general issues. Most of these aren't common. The ones with a single asterisk was a common issue a long time ago, and a double asterisk is a current common issue
The Price Of Human Life, According To GM*|*Michael Moore

Smart never issues a proper, voluntary recall to fix these problems, probably for the same reason GM didn't/doesn't. They've never recalled them that I know of, ever.
Come on Larry, do some homework! :)

There was one smart recall in 2009 to about 40 or so cars.

Why? Bad paint on the Tridion Cell. The bad paint mixture allowed the adhesive for the panoramic roof to fail, eventually leading to the ejection of the roof. A safety issue.

GM's issues lead to the death of possibly hundreds of people, it affects millions of cars across several brands and over a decade of model years, and they've known about it since 2001.

On the other hand, smart's "issues" affects what, 1,000 cars at the most? And none of them are safety issues?

A dead smart transmission leaves you unable to leave home/work. GM's faulty ignition could leave you without airbags in a crash.

You cannot argue those two are even close to similar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First off, MB does not have a an extended Warranty. What they sell is a 3rd party service contract. Some owners have had good luck with these contracts, others have been refused pay offs.

Trans no-go is a Common problem with Smart, we had it happen to our 08 twice. Once was in conjunction with a brake light switch. Fix was a run though the trans re-teach as outlined in the owners manual.

If you let MB take it apart you may be stuck with a huge bill. Which MB dealer are you dealing with ? A2Jack
Well, I reviewed my warranty and you are correct.

Im dealing with Walters MB in CA, and they are already taking it apart, still no word on what it is.

·
17,345 Posts
Yeah, I thought the whole $300 warranty deductible thing was pretty odd...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I thought the whole $300 warranty deductible thing was pretty odd...
$100 Deductible, and it is an actual smart extended warranty, Not aftermarket.
So in my case the the clutch release lever is sticking.
Sadly the warranty denied the claim.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
While the "warranty" may have been purchased from THE DEALER generally those high profit "bumper to bumper" extended SERVICE CONTRACTS are not truly an extension of the original M-B smart factory warranty.

While the contract may have been sold as "bumper to bumper" read the fine print carefully especially that long list of "exclusions" (note too the short list of "covered" items) which will ALWAYS include wear/replacement items like brake pads, windshield wiper and CLUTCH. Likely your sticking CLUTCH release lever is one of those EXCLUSIONS and when smart center Riverside called in the claim and mentioned "CLUTCH" the next word heard was DENIED!

If you made this "warranty" purchase from Walters smart center Riverside you may want to go talk with the Finance Manager in his very expensive Armani suit and ask him what "value" he sold you for upwards of $1,000? :crying:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If the failed part is not in the list of covered parts in the service contract it will not be covered. It is that simple. The problem comes when the finance manager tells the buyer it is a bumper-to-bumper warranty. It is not. It never is. Most people do not read the contract before or after they buy it so as to know what is and is not covered.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Why are we NOT surprised :rolleyes:

AND, as others have stated, what you bought was a "smart branded" SERVICE CONTRACT :sorrysign:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts