Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Since "smart" is such a TINY niche in the market, a TINIER niche is just NOT COST EFFECTIVE :(

Like everything else in life, it all boils down to $$$ and cents :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
28,443 Posts
As far as the diesel engine goes, it shouldn't have to go far to meet emissions standards.
One of smart USA's largest markets is California. M-B diesels cannot meet CA emission standards without using the Adblue (urea injection) technology. That system takes up enough room in an E-class that there is no spare tire. No way to get that shrunk down to fit the 451 smart. As an aside, when M-B brought in the Bluetec diesel E-class in 2007 it was a 45 state car. Couldn't be sold in all 50 states until 2008 when the Adblue system was incorporated. Let's hope M-B/Renault are thinking ahead on the Gen 3 models. :)

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
You want to fix the problem Penske?

Push to allow smart centers to import used forfours, crossblades, and roadsters.
Push to allow importation of the diesel.
Push to allow importation of the true BRABUS cars.
Push to allow importation of special models (Tailor-Made, etc.).
Urge smartUSA to start doing some hardcore adverts.

There you go, no need to push for some Japanese hatch hecho en Mexico (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Neon,
Some great talking points but at least one simply will not happen;
Push to allow smart centers to import used forfours, crossblades, and roadsters.
USED GRAY MARKET smarts would tank the smartUSA endeavor while sending a very mixed message to the consumer. Add to that the smart center not wanting to work on anything but our made for N.A. 451 version, availability of parts and some states making non-approved vehicles nearly impossible to register . . .

That the diesel was nuked for not meeting the 2007 revised environmental standards (and is no longer available in Canada) does not bode well for the U.S. seeing that option anytime soon.

I agree with chieftmc, it would be suicide for smart to create a micro niche within their already small niche market. Special editions in our smart world will be badging, bling or wrap - i.e. with such low sales numbers on the core business, the cost to gain approval and import a true BRABUS can't be justified.

Sadly, we must accept Vanilla smarts - with apologies to Little Richard*, (Bop bopa-a-lu a whop bam boo) Tutti-Frutti is simply not an option.

*Neon, you may need to Google this one?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I enjoy dreaming about a tiny OPOC diesel 2 module engine roadster. 2 cylinder at start up and a whole lotta torque and get up and go, and then I hit that 40 mph speed limit for the ten miles to work. That always wakes me back up into reality. :D Bummer!
I have a pop up cop permanently affixed to the rear bumper of my smart.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts