Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have had the worst time trying to figure out how to repair my car. For some odd reason the switch at the back of my tailgate is no longer there. I can't open the tailgate anymore and it's making it increasingly difficult to change the oil or to put anything in the back anymore. I did visit the Evilution Encyclopedia website, but I was hoping that maybe there was another way to get that thing open without having to drill holes in it. I could sure use the help, am I leaving something out? Is there another alternative (whether it takes more time or not)?

Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
First off, welcome!! Sorry to hear you're having issues. What year Smart do you have? That will tell us if you have a mechanical or powered tailgate release.

There's some searching required, but there was a creative clothes hanger method out there that allowed you to activate the release mechanism. Never fear, someone will arrive with an answer!

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
You may have to hit the unlock button a couple of times before you can release the tailgate after you have been driving as it automatically locks.

When I read your post I thought you were "tail gaiting" another car and ran into the back of that car thus wrecking the front of your car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, welcome!! Sorry to hear you're having issues. What year Smart do you have? That will tell us if you have a mechanical or powered tailgate release.

There's some searching required, but there was a creative clothes hanger method out there that allowed you to activate the release mechanism. Never fear, someone will arrive with an answer!
I have a 2008. There is no button for releasing the tailgate on my remote. I have a convertible top so the button is for activating the top.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may have to hit the unlock button a couple of times before you can release the tailgate after you have been driving as it automatically locks.

When I read your post I thought you were "tail gaiting" another car and ran into the back of that car thus wrecking the front of your car.
No but my car was rear ended which is the reason for the tailgate not working. Unfortunately there is not a certified smart car mechanic within 100 miles of my area so they won't fix it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Are you talking about the switch that's above the lip of the license plate or the two toggle switches that you release after you raise the rear window?

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
I have a 2008. There is no button for releasing the tailgate on my remote. I have a convertible top so the button is for activating the top.
Not a separate button. Hit the unlock button to unlock the tailgate mechanism. Then use the latch just above the license plate.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
No but my car was rear ended which is the reason for the tailgate not working. Unfortunately there is not a certified smart car mechanic within 100 miles of my area so they won't fix it.
Being as you were rear ended seems that you should be driving a rental while the "at fault" driver's insurance does ALL the heavy lifting?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The Cabrio does not have a FOB button for the trunk latch. The only button that opens the latch is the micro-switch in the handle above the plate. From what the OP has posted, that switch is out of commission. Sadly, on the Cabrio, the only way to pop the latch manually is drill the two small holes.

On the up side, once it's open you should be able to open it up enough to see if the switch is completely gone or just rotated/mashed out of the way. My micro-switch was one of the rare defective ones in the early '08 line, which took quite a bit of hitting to trigger. Mine was warranty repaired by the dealer, but it was not fun dealing with it for the few days it took to setup an appointment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We did have a rental but the insurance company will not make repairs to the car because they are not "Smart" certified mechanics. There is none that I know if in Fresno, CA. The nearest locations are San Jose, Sacramento or Los Angeles.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Your nearest smart center would probably be Sacramento. There are also smart centers in Santa Barbara, Oxnard, West Covina, Beverly Hills, Riverside, Laguna Niguel, & San Diego.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your nearest smart center would probably be Sacramento. There are also smart centers in Santa Barbara, Oxnard, West Covina, Beverly Hills, Riverside, Laguna Niguel, & San Diego.
Thats the thing, I have to drive a long ways to go to any of those....UGH!! :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts