Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Smart. On start up I get a strange noise. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It doesn't change with rpm's. Changed tension pulley, removed A/C belt. It is not the alternator. It lasts about 20 seconds and then powers down slowly and goes away. After it stops it will not come back unless the car is completely cooled down. This is a loud noise that definitely comes from the passenger side of the motor. I'm stumped.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
If the air temp is within a certain range, and the fuel to air mixture is within a certain range, and the temp of the catalytic converter is within a certain range, and the voltage from the O2 sensors meet a certain requirement, The pump will run. Once everything hits the magic numbers, the pump will shut off. If it is too cold outside, it doesn't run, If it is too warm outside, the pump doesn't run. don't ask what each of the component ranges are as I don't know. I have had different smarts since 2007 and they all have that noise at various times, nothing to worry about. Nothing to fix or replace. The main computer knows when to turn the pump on and off to take care of the emissions and keep the components happy so let it do it's thing.

Now if it ran continuous, the computer would generate a fault code and let you know there is a problem. No codes... no problem. There was an issue with a secondary valve back in the early days where it would sound like a sewing machine, but it was not so much a problem as just a noise. Most people just ignored it, some had it changed out and it still made noise, some insulated the mount and it got better. but again, it was doing it's job.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,765 Posts
Functionally NORMAL but that shrill high pitch sounds like the fine river bottom dust of Lemoore may have eaten up a bearing/bushing?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Sorry, I just found your video with the noise, and you are right , that is not a normal sound. Sounds like a dremel tool taking off. I would suspect the air pump too. luckily they don't run too long and I would guess it is a dealer item. I believe the warranty for any emissions device is much longer than the standard car warranty so it might be worth at least a call to the dealer.

·
17,479 Posts
Mine sounds like that sometimes. I don't know why that is, but it never fails to work when it should. I wouldn't replace it unless it actually breaks.

But yeah, emissions equipment is covered for much longer than the standard warranty, worth calling the dealer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sure sounds like a Bearing going out on that air pump to me...

The normal running sound of that air pump is Not that sound...

Thanks for the Audio... Bad Berries

Your pump Might Have Been So Quiet before , you did Not notice it running... Yours is Scary loud and would have had me questioning it TOO... More than Just a Pump Noise...

Keep us posted what is done to repair or replace it please...

signed....BUBBIE

·
Banned
214 Posts
Noises

This was a huge thing for me days into the lease. I was hearing all sorts of noises, a lot could be contributed to cold and ice but others couldn't.

This forum calmed me right on down. I have an exhaust noise, a tranny noise, others but it seems they only happen "when" necessary.

This thread I ran across accidentally. Glad I did. Thank you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
If the air temp is within a certain range, and the fuel to air mixture is within a certain range, and the temp of the catalytic converter is within a certain range, and the voltage from the O2 sensors meet a certain requirement, The pump will run. Once everything hits the magic numbers, the pump will shut off. If it is too cold outside, it doesn't run, If it is too warm outside, the pump doesn't run. don't ask what each of the component ranges are as I don't know. I have had different smarts since 2007 and they all have that noise at various times, nothing to worry about. Nothing to fix or replace. The main computer knows when to turn the pump on and off to take care of the emissions and keep the components happy so let it do it's thing.

Now if it ran continuous, the computer would generate a fault code and let you know there is a problem. No codes... no problem. There was an issue with a secondary valve back in the early days where it would sound like a sewing machine, but it was not so much a problem as just a noise. Most people just ignored it, some had it changed out and it still made noise, some insulated the mount and it got better. but again, it was doing it's job.

Good answer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts