Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all Smart Owners:
My Range/Rover/Jaguar Dealership where I got my used Smart Car can't get rid of a noise that my "brakes"make when I hit them, they said they have changed the brake pads, rotors, etc...still when I drive my Smart Car first in the morning and hit my first stop I sound like the "Public Bus" approaching the Bus Stop....Any light on the subject...going to pay for a mechanic to check if in "fact" they have done all they have said and or to find out what's making that "horrible" noise...Anybody with the same problem...Please help

·
Super Moderator
11,296 Posts
Not a uncommon thing to hear the brakes squeal o the first stop of the day. If it bothers you that much, change to ceramic brake pads, or add some squeal stop to the back of the pads.

The noise I assume you are hearing is the pads vibrating as the flash rust is worn off the rotors. not a big concern, it happens to most cars, some tend to make more noise than others .

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/brake-squeaking-46430/

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the same thing and just made a post about this a few days ago. It's getting better and when i get a brake job I'll just go with the ceramic brakes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My experience with Mercedes stock pads is that the squeal/screech like a stuck pig when they are cold. It's extremely annoying and is much worse in cold weather as I come up to stop signs in the neighborhood when I'm heading out. The noise eventually goes away as the pads and rotors warm up, but the previous post is correct, it is due to the pad moving/oscillating. Apparently there is a grease, graphite paste/compound that can be applied to the pads when installed that help, but my understanding is that over time that stuff breaks down and the noise comes back. I have heard that some pads come with shims and a compound that makes all this noise go away. It's worth looking into if the neighbors are calling the cops or the homeowner's association on you I guess.

I have another car that makes an awful grinding, scraping noise from rust on the rotors because it sits for weeks without being driven. While annoying, it goes away with the first few stops. Nothing to do for that problem I'm afraid.

I would say that if it is REALLY bothersome, you could ask for a shop to add the brake squeal compound and or shims to limit the noise, but they'll probably charge you for a full brake job just to do that. Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So, did ya get your brake noise resolved? If/when you do, please post an update and let us know how it worked out. I'm sure we'd all love to hear the outcome. And some of us really enjoy happy endings!-J

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for following up. The dealership where I bought my vehicle, refer me to a Mercedes Benz and they did a wonderful job at having the them fix (silence)for now. To the front brake pads they added paste to them which helps lubricate the pads when pressure is applied. They also went through and cleaned the rear brake shoes of any dust build-up and re-lubricated them as well. I am very happy.

Now I am missing the lower (black) panel of the right passenger door...they are looking for the piece. But by the way, do you know where can I order one of those?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
11,296 Posts
Check your local car wash. If they are not put on properly, the car wsh can blow them off. Otherwise they can be ordered thru the dealership. Get some new plastic clips that hold them in place. They break easily when the panel is removed.

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
My experience with Mercedes stock pads is that the squeal/screech like a stuck pig when they are cold. It's extremely annoying and is much worse in cold weather as I come up to stop signs in the neighborhood when I'm heading out. The noise eventually goes away as the pads and rotors warm up, but the previous post is correct, it is due to the pad moving/oscillating.
Maybe with the 450, I don't know. Not that way with the 3 451s we've had. Might be a squeak at the first brake application of the day but nothing after that. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts