Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell us where the noise making machinery is in the car, we believe we can starve it of feed, as the sound on our new Smartfotwo car is unbearable, and isn't instigated by the tyres. Thank you. :) Nordic.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I found one in my Cabrio, drove me crazy trying to track it down , but persistence paid off and it ended up being a bushing for the folding top that just needed a smidge of heavy grease . Seems that the press fit bushing had just a bit more play than needed .

·
Registered
882 Posts
I thought my Smart car was noisy and full of rattles by design. A modern day Yugo. Then I hit the chassis with silicone spray lube and noticed an extreme reduction in noise. At that point I knew I was wrong, it was not designed to rattle and was no Yugo. So I emptied the car. With nothing in the hatch area nothing in the glove compartment nothing under the seat no change in the cup holders or in the little drawer under the radio. With the radio off and the windows up I went for a ride with a roll of electrical tape, a black sponge and the can of silicone spray I spent about two hours tracking down and nullifying every rattle, squeak, squeal and clunk I could find. They were either tapped up, sprayed with lube, or had bits of sponge wedged between it. It was very successful and a year later my 2014 Smart has no rattles to the point where when the passenger seat is empty the seat buckle can find itself tapping against the passenger door plastic and it is an immediate OMG stop the car what is that noise attention getter lol. So the car is not designed to be super noisy. Road noise entering can be insulated against but I have not done so as I have grown found of the sound of my Smart on the road often I travel with the radio off especially when intense and paddle shifting.

To the point once you know what the engine and tranny should sound like. The rest becomes orderly to find.
If you have a hard top. Anything metal is chassis/suspension or license plates. Squeals are brake or pulley related, squeaks or flapping vibrations are plastic body part related. Cabrio's if the noise is above your head its roof related.

·
Registered
882 Posts
With all else the same, are we talking gears? The one noise I do still have is the light gear whine when in reverse. Now I'm am in reverse so infrequently I forget about it until I reverse half a block to catch a parking space. Tell me what to listen for I may test drive a new Electric just to see.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
On my electric 451, it was a relatively quiet sound similar to George Jetson's flying car in the old Saturday TV cartoon - and the noisemaker only operates at 20 mph/35 kph or less. I disconnected mine as I found it an annoyance. A couple years later I reconnected it - but it no longer works.

There is a long, rambling thread about it - including disconnecting it - here: https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f170/disconnecting-noise-maker-77233/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts